Port light gaskets

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Ken Rollins

Port light gaskets

Post by Ken Rollins »

CKARMA4, my 2006 350 #393 was leaking at the port light seals. I ordered new seals from Lewmar which were obviously bigger than the old seals. I found out they changed the seals in 2007 and they do not stock the old seals. They recommended that I shim out the catch block on the latch. This did not work. I recommend anyone who owns a pre 2007 boat not to waste your time and money on so called replacement seals from Lewmar. I cut out the section of the old seal that was compressed by the hinges and filled the gap with rubber compound. This stopped the leak, at least temporarily.
Pgtjs

Re: Port light gaskets

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi there,
I had similar problems - also on the port side. I took a piece of the old compressed seal to West Marine, they went to their catalogue and found a close match - a little bigger -and I fitted it. Cant recall what I sealed it up with, works fine. About 5 years ago. I think you may be able to get the seal at big marine stores such as Fisheries Supplies in Seattle. Same issue with the Refrig Seals.

Geoff. S Taeko 1V, C350 #392, Semiahmoo, WA
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
KenKrawford

Re: Port light gaskets

Post by KenKrawford »

Ken, I replaced a couple of my Lewmar seals 2 years ago with these - https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?p ... id=3962096. Being new rubber it took a bit of effort to close the port initially but after it compressed I've had no problems. My boat is a 2005 hull # 351.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA