Drilling into/mounting to pedestal

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

cuthbert

Drilling into/mounting to pedestal

Post by cuthbert »

I am looking at a couple of winter projects and the first of which is supplementing the folding woooden table (non Catalina standard) that I have attached to the pedestal with some sort of teak cup/binocular holder such as this

https://www.amazon.com/SeaTeak-62634-In ... 3466&psc=1

Has anyone mounted add ons to the pedestal fiberglass? If so was it a self tapping screw into a pilot hole, or a screw into a larger hole supplemented with 5200? or is the best thing to drill through and remove the instrument panel and use a nut and bolt solution? Any pictures of cupholders that work well would be appreciated or any advice on what not to do with hindsight.

Second thing I want to do is find and fit a winch handle holder in a suitably accessible but still out of the way place (the areas adjacent to the companionway are handy backrests when sat face aft, so not there). Anybody have a novel and tidy solution as to where they positioned the handle holder?
Last edited by cuthbert on Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wolfe10

Re: Drilling into/mouting to pedestal

Post by wolfe10 »

Only way I would do it is thru bolt with fender washer on the inside (all stainless steel).

You have to make strong enough that if someone is thrown into it in a seaway that it won't crack the FG.

Would not use 3m 5200 as you may want to remove it at some point.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Would something like this work - http://snapitproducts.com/snapit-marine ... ink-holder ? I've had something similar on my boat for the last 16 years and love it. It takes just a couple of seconds to mount or remove. No varnishing needed !!
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
JohnNorton

Post by JohnNorton »

Regarding winch handle holder: I have a sleeve mounted on the forward post for the cockpit table. Easy to reach, out of the way.
As to hardware mounted the the pedestal: washer backing with a nut gets my support.
Amnesia

Post by Amnesia »

I mounted this winch handle holder on the front of the pedestal near the bottom for a winch handle that can be reached from either side of the cockpit: https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=4189126

four pilot holes, for four small stainless steel screws that hold plastic hooks to fasten on and quickly remove the winch handle bag.

I don't have the cockpit table. I'm a big guy and don't need the obstruction getting from one side of the cockpit to the other
Mike Emery

S/V Amnesia
Cat350 #169
Wisail

Post by Wisail »

I used two of these drink holders from Edson.

https://edsonmarine.com/single-clamp-on ... poly-base/

They tuck up close to the pedestal, are sturdy, adjustable, low maintenance, don’t mess with the sunbrella wheel/table cover. The boat is tucked away for the season lest I get you a photo.
Highly recommend. I keep the my binoculars in the center “ice box” right next to my cell phone.
Wisail

Post by Wisail »

Winch handle..down low on the stainless support tube for the table facing forward but it seemed to get hit or in the way too often. So I removed it. I keep two tucked between the line bags on the coach house roof either side of the companionway. Easily close enough to the primaries or the winches for halyards. Never seem to dislodge.
tranquil

Re: Drilling into/mouting to pedestal-winch handle holders

Post by tranquil »

I have a white, semi flexible plastic winch holder which I affixed to the forward pedestal leg of the cockpit table. I took a razor and placed two small parallel slits toward the top of the holder, threaded a hose clamp thru it and around the pedestal leg and screwed it shut. That way I can move it any time I want without making permanent holes. Additionally, I have two identical winch holders attached in the same way, in the same place, side by side for two winch handles; 1 shorter for me and the other normal size for everyone else. They are easily accessible for either winch. I've never moved them and just scrub/hose them down with the rest of the cockpit when needed. Hope this helps.
Teri
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
Amnesia

Post by Amnesia »

Specifically regarding add on's to the pedestal, I have attached a SNAPIT Binnacle Drink/Binocular holder that was specifically designed for the C350 Pedestal...we love it

This link shows a similar version for a Generic Pedestal holder: http://snapitproducts.com/snapit-marine ... ink-holder

I suppose if someone was interested they could reach out directly to SNAPIT for the exact C350 version
Mike Emery

S/V Amnesia
Cat350 #169
Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I built my own out of Starboard.

Beveled wedges go inside the pedestal so the assembly remains level when tightened.

Once installed, I plugged the forward ends of the countersunk holes to hide the screw heads.

I built a pattern out of plywood to test the fit and to use as a template for the router bit for the Starboard.

Bob
Attachments
20200724_152301 small.jpg
20200724_152301 small.jpg (250.04 KiB) Viewed 1707 times
20200724_143131 small.jpg
20200724_143131 small.jpg (193.94 KiB) Viewed 1707 times
Guinevere
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Guinevere wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:58 am I built my own out of Starboard.
Bob
Bob,

Very nice work.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
cuthbert

Re: Drilling into/mounting to pedestal

Post by cuthbert »

KenKrawford wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:55 am Would something like this work - http://snapitproducts.com/snapit-marine ... ink-holder ? I've had something similar on my boat for the last 16 years and love it. It takes just a couple of seconds to mount or remove. No varnishing needed !!
That worked - Snapit 9.5" x 1.125" tube diameter the M version of the link.

Many thanks.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_0272.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0272.jpg (217.96 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
Pbrenner

Re: Drilling into/mouting to pedestal-winch handle holders

Post by Pbrenner »

tranquil wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:49 am Additionally, I have two identical winch holders attached in the same way, in the same place, side by side for two winch handles; 1 shorter for me and the other normal size for everyone else. They are easily accessible for either winch. I've never moved them and just scrub/hose them down with the rest of the cockpit when needed.
Thanks , would you have a photo of your setting please ;-)
Happily sailing on "fuzion III" (Hull 452) in Québec, Canada
tranquil

Re: Drilling into/mounting to pedestal

Post by tranquil »

I dont have a photo, but I bought a regular plastic winch holder from a marine supply (generic photo I attempted to attach), took a razor knife and cut a slit on each side close to the back, large enough to slip a large hose clamp thru and camped it to/around the front table leg. I have two of them, one on each side for easy access to each winch. Does not impede the table when down. Can remove at any time; I just clean it when I clean the cockpit.
Attachments
winch holder
winch holder
winch holder.png (86.73 KiB) Viewed 123 times
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com