Schematics for battery and switch

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Monty

Schematics for battery and switch

Post by Monty »

Has any one have a schematic for the battery/DC switch wiring that they can send me? My manual has a schematic for the panel downstream but not the wiring supplying the panel, battery charger, battery, battery switches, etc. We are doing some projects on the new to us 2008 C350 and would like to know what I am working with before I make any changes. thanks,
Steve Montgomery
Salty, hull #418
Deltaville, VA
Captain Kirk

Re: Schematics for battery and switch

Post by Captain Kirk »

Hello Monte

I haven't come across a DC system schematic in the Catalina manual I have on board. But if there was one it would not reflect the current system on our boat. Many of us have battery and charging systems that have been modified over the years. On Sand Dollar for example, the standard 2 x 4D house batteries have been changed to 4 golf cart batteries. Also a separate engine start battery had been installed along with additional equipment such as diesel furnace and inverter etc.

Other systems that I have added in the past 5 years of ownership include, a battery monitor (i.e.: a shunt is installed) and solar charging system. Rather than rely on my terrible memory, I drew up an as-built schematic that reflects the DC system as it exists today.

I would suggest you go through your DC system and create your own schematic. You might find the previous owners made changes which you may not want to keep in place. Trace all wiring from end to end to clearly define the system. By doing this you can confirm that all in-line fuses etc are properly installed.

I have attached the schematic.

In any case enjoy your boat. I find that part the enjoyment is the satisfaction of learning so much along the way.

Cheers
Attachments
DC SUPPLY SCHEMATIC.gif
DC SUPPLY SCHEMATIC.gif (44.31 KiB) Viewed 1420 times
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
Monty

Post by Monty »

Many thanks! I agree with your points re changes and challenges learning how one’s boat works. I have a pretty much unchanged boat and was trying to find a baseline that would give me a start to identify changes with. Yours is a big help. Enjoy your sailing!
Steve Montgomery
Salty, hull #418
Deltaville, VA
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Steve

Also did a network schematic after I finished some upgrades including a new chart plotter and an AIS transceiver installation. I upgraded the network to Raymarine SeaTalk-ng which is their name for the NMEA 2000 industry standard.
Attachments
Network Arrangement as at Sept 2021.gif
Network Arrangement as at Sept 2021.gif (30.19 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
Kirk & Leah McCullough
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
Daniel Brodsky

Navigation System Upgrade

Post by Daniel Brodsky »

Navigation system Question:

It’s time to replace our Raymarine E80 chart plotter. That’s fine – I’m not sad to see it go.

What I’m unsure about is what else needs to be replaced as a consequence?

I know the Radome will have to be replaced. That’s OK too. What I’m wondering about are the other instruments and the autopilot. In particular, does it mean that I also have to replace the Raymarine ST-60 wind package, Tridata, and Graphic Repeater, as well as the ST 6001 Autopilot? What about the depth transducer etc.? Not to mention the VHF.
Daniel J. Brodsky
Holo Nui # 354
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Hi Daniel

For your existing instruments (other than the Raydome), you will probably be able to keep them all, however you will need to update your network to make those instruments compatible with your new chart plotter. I went with a Raymarine Axiom plotter.

I installed the Raymarine network converter. It converts the old SeaTalk to the new SeaTalk-ng. It allowed me to keep the old ST 60 series and still have them feed data to the new Axiom chart plotter. The connection to the ST4000+ autopilot was seamless too. I was also able to keep the existing depth and speed sensors. SeaTalk-ng is Raymarine's version of NMEA 2000 which is the current network industry standard; non-Raymarine devices will also connect directly on the new network.

My existing VHF is not connected to the network, but when I get new one it will easily plug in.

I spent time on the Raymarine Tech forum to get up to speed, their tech support is very good.

I can share more details if you like.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
Bob_A

Re: Nav Equip Upgrade

Post by Bob_A »

Hi Daniel,

I think Kirk's excellent reply is all you need and looks very encouraging. For further context I'll ad that I too was not sad to see the old Raymarine CP go.
We went the Garmen route (love it) the Gmap 1243xsv will fit into the existing NavPod ... just. I wanted a clean stock look and we unfortunately did not have the RM wind so we added the Garmen Gwind which instantly necessitates the new CP and NMEA 2000 backbone, new radar (Fantom 18) and additional transducer to utilize the sonar function. We split screen for the wind display thus the 2 existing ST60 display and auto pilot remain and operate independently. ie the existing SOG, redundant depth (we set this on the waterline and the new one displayed on the CP at bottom of keel.
The existing auto pilot (same as yours) is not picked up by the new 1243 and I am happy with that but I have heard it could. AIS was added as well.
Bob & Cherie
Cheeky Monkey - Hull 363
Vancouver, BC
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Good input Bob!

We both went with the em-Trak AIS and I think it was great choice, I believe you're happy with yours too. After 3 plus months on the boat this summer I found it was reliable, accurate and very valuable particularly in the high traffic areas we cruised in. As we got further north it helped us locate and track other boats that we were planning to rendezvous with.

With your input to me on how to get the cable from my new Raymarine Wind package down the mast to the network, I got that done easily (with the help of a competent rigger). I use the Axiom wind app, and split screen it with the Navionics mapping. Works great.

And to clarify on the Autopilot, the existing ST4000+ receives routing info from the Axiom when in the follow mode and when the ST4000+ is in the track mode the boat will follow the route. However I cannot use the Autopilot app in Axiom because the 150G course computer is one generation too old. But this a minor issue and I don't plan to update it to the Evolution line just yet. You might be able to use the Gmap in a similar way to get it to follow a route, if you haven't already.

Cheers
Kirk & Leah McCullough
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
Bob_A

Post by Bob_A »

Hello Kirk

I remember now you were about to attempt the wind instrument cabling through the mast. Very happy to hear that was a success.
I'm assuming you had an existing pull string in place and thus used the 1" conduit and made the "S" turn at the bottom. I'd be very interested to know how that went and was done. I guess the one important plus is the wind instrument cable (if it is like the Garmen) is small in diameter and flexible.
Well done!
The Em-Trac AIS is one of the best improvements of all of them. Certainly great value. Frankly I wouldn't have a boat around here without it. Our ST6001 auto pilot would coordinate with the routing on the CP but it is a technical thing and I prefer not to go there just now. A friend with the same era 53 Carver had the same ST6001 and went the Garmen route. When his tech was done it all auto tracked to the CP route perfectly. We were up north many times last year. I'll watch for you. Hopefully there won't be restrictions.
Bob & Cherie
Cheeky Monkey - Hull 363
Vancouver, BC
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Bob

Trying to recall the actual procedure, it went something like this:

There was no existing messenger string.

The rigger disconnected the anchor light wire from the light, attached messengers and I pulled it all down. One messenger was fished out of the slot they created at foot of the mast. The anchor wire was pulled back up. They attached a messenger to the (nice slim, flexible) wind cable and pulled it up also inside the 1" conduit. He reconnected the anchor light and connected the wind cable and finished install of the wind sensor. At the foot of the mast the new cable came out through the slot and down through a gland. I took it from there. -see photo.

This eliminated the need to try to go through the "S" turn and then into the bilge. I wanted to avoid going through the bilge, it seemed like a tough path to get through all the way into the Nav cabinet.

By staying "high" through the head with the wind cable, it only took me 40 minutes to run the cable aft ward through port side wire raceway.

The entire install was done quite quickly maybe 3-4 hours, good thing considering the rigger's hourly rate.
Attachments
Wind cable install.gif
Wind cable install.gif (166.3 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
Kirk & Leah McCullough
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
Bob_A

Post by Bob_A »

Thanks Kirk
Nice work and exactly how the riggers in North Van would do it too if the mast was no coming off.
Bob & Cherie
Cheeky Monkey - Hull 363
Vancouver, BC