Fridge Door Seal

One of everybodies' favorite topics. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's refrigerator here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

TBOT422

Fridge Door Seal

Post by TBOT422 »

Has anyone replaced the fridge door seal. If so what did you use for a seal and where did you get it? I'm talking about the front door not the top door. I believe the door is made by Seaward and the Catalina parts store suggested that I contact them, but have had no luck.

I just replaced the seals around both of the top doors. You can get that seal from the Catalina parts store. Part number 1010298. Cost is about $2/foot.

Thanks
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
wolfe10

Re: Fridge Door Seal

Post by wolfe10 »

If you are not on the boat, and turn the refrigerator off, a secret to extending seal life is to leave the door and lid open when not in use. That way, the gasket does not take a permanent set.

To check a gasket, use the dollar bill test. Close the door or lid on a dollar bill and try to pull the bill out. Should be medium resistance and resistance should be the same all around the door or lid. Since it is a boat, a $100 bill works better.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Gary I tried using gaskets purchased from auto supply shops and just couldn't get a good seal. I ended up buying from Catalina parts.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Ken,

Do you happen to have a part number from Catalina parts? They suggested that I try Seaward for a seal.

Merry Christmas, and thanks for managing this site. It is so useful to all of us.
Gary & Janet
pdenoncourt

Post by pdenoncourt »

I got a new door seal by contacting Warren Pandy at Catalina.

Peter Denoncourt
Kite, C-350 Hull #72
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Sorry, I don't have a part number. I just called Catalina Parts in FL and ordered the gasket. If I remember correctly, it's sold by the foot. The adhesive is also very sticky so you only get one chance when applying it.
Thanks for the kind words and Merry Christmas to you as well.

TBOT422 wrote:Ken,

Do you happen to have a part number from Catalina parts? They suggested that I try Seaward for a seal.

Merry Christmas, and thanks for managing this site. It is so useful to all of us.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
elk

Post by elk »

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but the seal on the side door gets mangled when closing it and then doesn't seal anymore. The side nearest the hinge is what gets mangled. It seems the adhesive isn't enough to keep it securely attached, then it twists up and doesn't sit right, getting pinched between the door and the frame. Anyone experience this and have a fix?

At this point I have a piece of white duct tape running from top to bottom over the newly installed seal holding it in place, it seems to prevent it moving and getting mangled, and still seems to seal well enough.

I did get the replacement from Catalina in FL, but just described it to Cayce and she sent the correct one.

Thanks,
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Ed,

I had the same problem. What I did was remove the door and let it come to room temperature, then glued the old seal down with black 3M weather strip adhesive. It's held for nearly 2 years now, although I think I would like to replace the old seal just for general principal after changing the 2 top door seals.
Gary & Janet
belladonna

Post by belladonna »

I have a couple of questions regarding the seal around the frig door. My seal is okay but it has come "unglued" from the door on the hinge side. I think I would have better luck by removing the door and regluing the seal. I have tried to remove the top and bottom screw that go thru the hinge into the door but they won't budge, ANY IDEAS??? Also what type of adhesive would you use to re-glue the seal to the door. The seal is firmly attached to the door on the other 3 sides. Thanx to anyone that can help.
Jim Lassiter
2005 Catalina 350 "BELLA DONNA" # 368
White Stone, VA (lower Chesapeake Bay)
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Jim,

The " black 3M weather strip adhesive" Gary mentioned in the post above yours is a good choice.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

After 8 years, I decided to find a replacement for the front door seal. After taking some measurements and doing some research, I selected a Trim-Lok X135BT D-Seal. It comes in 25 foot lengths through Grainger for about $50. It seems to be almost identical to the old seal, although slightly higher as the old seal surely has some compression set after 14 years. It also seems to be the same as the seals under the 2 top doors that I replaced 8 years ago. Since I got 25 feet, I plan to replace them again as well.

My new problem is that when I was removing the old 3M weatherstripping that I put under the old door seal years ago, the white caulking between the stainless steel door panel and the plastic inner door panel became loose. So now I need to re-caulk that as well and am not sure what type of caulking to use. Whether something like life seal, or Lexel, or 4200, or ??? Anyone have any suggestions?

If I could figure out how to separate the stainless steel outer panel from the plastic inner panel, I would pull them apart and re-fill the insulation between them (if there was any there in the first place). But I can not see how it comes apart. There are no screws anywhere.
Gary & Janet