Julia Tuttle bridge height - Miami

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

SeaBreeze

Julia Tuttle bridge height - Miami

Post by SeaBreeze »

Has anyone taken their Catalina 350 under the Julia Tuttle Bridge? It's posted as 55' but there are comments on Active Captain that claim the height is not accurate. Hoping someone on our board has "been there, done that". I measured the height to the top of our VHF antenna, we are 54'. If you have reliable info please email seabreeze384@hotmail.com. I may not be able to access this board but can always get email while traveling.
Rick
Sea Breeze
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
Carolina.Mind

Re: Julia Tuttle bridge height - Miami

Post by Carolina.Mind »

We have been under the bridge several times, including yesterday. No problems. I would watch the height indicators and avoid the light in the center of the bridge.
Aussie Mate

Post by Aussie Mate »

We have been under it twice in 2016 and did not touch the VHF antenna. Other posted advice is good.
Bruce Whyte
s/v Aussie Mate
C350 #357
Peter Weis

Post by Peter Weis »

This is an old thread. But when it comes to bridge heights on the ICW, especially in Florida, water depths in the ICW can rise 2-3 ft when the wind has been constant and pushes water into the ICW. A bridge height which is supposed to be 55ft could end up closer to 52-53ft. This is why boats which have air drafts of much over 61 ft can be worrisome in the ICW, with wind instruments and antennas at the top of the mast. So being aware of what the wind has done to water depths is key. Boats with air drafts of 62'+ but less than 65' are not really "ICW friendly".