Winter Canvas vs. Shrink wrap

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

karlbrosky

Winter Canvas vs. Shrink wrap

Post by karlbrosky »

Hi everyone. My wife and I just purchased our 2007 Catalina 350 Sea of Dreams this past spring. We are loving every moment on her. Unfortunately always being the planner, I wanted to solicit some opinions on whether to shrink wrap her for the winter or get a canvas. In addition, one marina takes the mast down and the other doesn’t. Does anyone have any opinions on that as well.

Thanks
Karl Brosky
Sea of Dreams
rickkremel

Re: Winter Canvas vs. Shrink wrap

Post by rickkremel »

We’ve used the same winter cover for 15 years on Dock Holiday (hull #359). DCA brings the cost down to about $125/yr and it still has another 5+ years of life yet.
We store mast up and prefer it. My son goes up the mast each year to inspect.
karlbrosky

Post by karlbrosky »

Thank you for the feedback!! I’m leaning toward cover and mast up as well.
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

I have shrink wrapped my boat all but the last 3 years. I did it myself, took my mast down every year and used it as the ridge on the boat for the shrink wrap. Plastic cost me about $120 Cdn per year and then the propane as well. I never had any problems. I bought a cover 3 years ago ~$3400 Cdn, with a frame. Our new marina won't let me shrink wrap myself and they charge about $2000 Cdn to do it. The frame has collapsed 2 of the 3 years under heavy snow. I am considering trying a shallow cover (no frame) next. One of the reasons that I do take my mast down every year is the possibility of heavy ice accumulation during ice storms. My thinking is, if large metal framed power line towers collapse from ice load, well then my mast probably won't fair so well either ;)
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
karlbrosky

Post by karlbrosky »

Thank you for the reply. Apologies for my delayed response. Too much going on etc.