C350 racing tips

Post your technical questions or solutions about getting the best performance out of your boat here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

cuthbert

C350 racing tips

Post by cuthbert »

I entered a race recently (it was awful) and intend to do so again and before the second go around I had some questions/comments.
1) I have a 130 and a 110 jib and have the 130 in situ the past 6 years or so. I get the feeling that on a beam reach or when heading up in a steady and predicted 15kts or so of wind it would be better to change to the 110 the morning of the race to allow max speed as the larger jib works against me in decent winds. Any comments?
2) Here is a generic racing question (I am not a racer by any means so bear with me if this is a newbie question although I have had this boat 14 years) I have a asymmetric plus dousing sock for downwind is it easier/better to fly (or at least raise the halyard or raise the halyard and then the sock) of the spinnaker and then reduce the jib (potentially messy) or alternately having the turtle bag in place with the halyard attached then furl the jib having a minute (or two) with no headsail while the sock is hoisted etc? Or is this the kind or area where madness lies as people practice alternates to get the optimal performance.
3) Best number of crew to bring along?
4) Any other advice or comments?
D&M

Re: C350 racing tips

Post by D&M »

Hi,
I have exactly the same sail plan as you and at the risk of inciting a riot I would offer the following based on your post:
In 15 knots of "steady and predicted" wind I would take the 135 genoa over the 110. The 135 performs great in 12 to 15 knots of wind. Any higher and the boat starts to get over powered. That said, as it says in the manual, the 135 can be reefed and hold it's shape, so consider it in winds from 12 - 18 knots (I say). if you mean 15 knots gusting to 20 knots then go with the 110 or reef the 135. Remember also that you can reef the main to reduce the effect of the main over powering the boat.
WRT the second part of your question:
The ideal crew is six, one on the helm, two for each winch and one on the main/traveller. Whether you dump the main sheet or the traveller - it is still one person. This is a key position and someone who knows the helmsman and their needs. (Hint - it is easier to recover the main from the traveller than than dumping the main sheet.)
With a crew of six I do not try to fly two headsails at once. I am in a Catalina 350, a fat boat not known for its racing qualities. I will ready the Assy, furl the headsail and then deploy the Assy. From one to the other it is less than a minute, if I lose by less than a minute I do not question my racing strategy, I try to improve my tacking. This is where the most boat speed is lost IMHO.
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a
cuthbert

Post by cuthbert »

Thanks for the advice, I am still finding my way and have another generic question - what is the rating of a 350? I have seen a 320 get rated 150, and a cat380 get 155 and a 42 around 120.

3 blade fixed prop, with an assym spinnaker. I am assuming the barbeque and anchor etc are liabilities of my own making and get no relief as does the bimini (aka "the rear spoiler") I would assume around 150-160 anyone have a number or point of reference?
rickkremel

Post by rickkremel »

PHRF for Dock Holiday #359 is non-spinnaker 182.
156 with chute.