M35B Coolant Water Pump

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

ElizabethG

M35B Coolant Water Pump

Post by ElizabethG »

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a M35B coolant water pump.

Westerbeke p/n is 200820 (2.25" impeller) for $424. Since this is a Kubota V1305-E engine block, I'm looking for the Kubota part.

It looks like the Kubota p/n is 16241-73030 which has now been superseded to p/n 16241-73034.

The Coleman site says the "new" superseded p/n is 16251-73037, but the description says the impeller is 37mm which is too small.

Messicks' site says the "new" p/n is 16241-73037, but none in stock.

So between the numerous p/n's, different impeller sizes, what's in stock, etc., I'm wondering if anyone has recently changed their Westerbeke pump for a Kubota pump and, if so, what is the correct p/n and where did you purchase?

BTW, there are lots of Chinese knockoffs that I'm finding, but I'm looking for the Kubota OEM part.

Thanks,

Bill
Atlanta
KenKrawford

Re: M35B Coolant Water Pump

Post by KenKrawford »

It looks like water pumps have joined the long list of items that are unavailable or on indefinite back order.
Bill have you considered an Orberdorfer pump by any chance? The next time my pump starts leaking I'm switching just to get away from that aft facing face plate. How about rebuilding your Sherwood? Mine failed very early on and I sent it to Depco in Tampa for a rebuild. It's still going strong.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
KevinMc

Post by KevinMc »

I just replaced the OEM Westerbeke M35B water pump on my boat with the Oberdorfer but it looks nothing like the parts number you posted.
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
ElizabethG

Post by ElizabethG »

Hi Kevin & Ken,

The pump I was looking for was the fresh water pump, not the raw water pump. However, I am replacing my raw water pump with the Orberdorfer.

For the freshwater pump, I found the p/n I wanted (16241-73034) with https://kubotageneratorsdirect.com.

With gasket, a total of $141 vs Westerbeke's price of $424 -and- it's an OEM Kubota part, not a kickoff.

Bill
Bob_A

Post by Bob_A »

I chose the Ancor raw water pump made in Italy. Id have to look but about 600 CAD.
The existing 90 degree barbed fittings will not screw into the body without the riser nipples as shown.
This I did not like this as every fitting joint is another one to seal.
Interestingly the Sherwood pump impeller cover will fasten right to this. I may restore it and install it so as not to use the risers.
Impeller size is identical, seals etc are all identical.
It is working well but there is a very difficult little leak I am trying to chase. At, most likely, the riser joint.
When I take this apart this winter to inspect the impeller and fix this leak I am going to re route the pressure side hose out board beside the intake hose and out from against the engine and away from the back / bottom of the alternator. Will require a new longer hose but much better.
Attachments
M35BC showing new Raw water Pump.jpeg
M35BC showing new Raw water Pump.jpeg (143.45 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
Bob & Cherie
Cheeky Monkey - Hull 363
Vancouver, BC
hperros

Post by hperros »

How do you keep your engine so clean? I am jealous! Any pointers???
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331
Bob_A

Post by Bob_A »

Thank-you!
It was not like this when we bought her but some Spray 9, rags (way better than paper towel), Q Tips, eccentric fussy detailing gene, time and
a perfectly aligned belt really helps.
Bob & Cherie
Cheeky Monkey - Hull 363
Vancouver, BC