Important.....Fuel Filter

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

jdamann

Important.....Fuel Filter

Post by jdamann »

I discovered, almost by accident, there is an additonal fuel filter on our engines. It was inlcuded in the spare parts kit but not mentioned in any of the documentation. It is an in-line filter right after the Racor mounted on the engine. A little difficult to get at but should be changed once a year, according to the sticker on the filter. It is part number 048076. I have also sent an e-mail to Mike so he can update the maintenance document on this site.
Happy Sailing

John

"Just Add Wind" 347
Bali Hai

80 Micron Fuel Filter

Post by Bali Hai »

John, I also found this in the spare parts kit and wondered what it was. I called the local Westerbeke guy and wrote down what he said at the time (a few years ago):
"Per Fred (tech dept) at Hansen Marine (Westerbeke authorized distributor 781-631-3282), the small diameter 80 micron fuel filter that came with the "A" spare parts kit is not required since I have a 10 micron Racor filter installed. This filter is often installed on new engines to ensure any crud in new fuel lines is removed, but since my final installation has adequate protection, it's not needed now".
I left the small filter in place and just keep changing the Racor and spin-on filters per the schedule. I figured it wouldn't hurt to leave it in place since the Racor is a much finer filter. I'm curious to see what others think.
Here is a photo of the filter so others can ID the thing...
http://www.hellerproperties.com/C350/re ... edited.jpg
Mike Heller, "Bali Hai" C350 #143
Allsail

Electric Fuel Lift Pump Filter

Post by Allsail »

It appears to be found on page 13, Scheduled Maintenance section of the January 2000 Universal Operators Manual.

It calls for an initially cleaning at 50 hours, which i haven't done, then every 250 hours. It does not mention replacing the filter.

I have the same spare pits kit with the pump filter as described.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Allsail