Racor filter change

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

c350ia

Racor filter change

Post by c350ia »

After changing the Racor filter is it necessary to fill the unit to the brim with diesel before putting the lid on and screwing it down. Will air left in the Racor get into the injector pump and stop the engine?

Trevor
Trevi #460
wolfe10

Re: Racor filter change

Post by wolfe10 »

Trevor,

There is a connection on the 12 VDC positive wire to the electric fuel pump. Disconnecting it will allow you to touch it to the large lug (battery side) of the glow plug solenoid/relay. Let it run until the pump RPM slows down (as it goes from pumping air to fuel).
Last edited by wolfe10 on Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
c350ia

Post by c350ia »

It is the Universal M35B engine with a Racor off engine filter and an electric fuel pump, that appears to be placed between the Racor and the engine.

On my previous boat with a Yanmar engine and mechanical fuel pump, I always filled up the Racor. I was wondering with this set up if there is a simpler way that does not require me to have a jug of diesel available.
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

I never bother to fill mine when changing filters. All I do to prime is cycle the key to the glow position several times before trying to start the motor. It runs the fuel pump when it's on glow. That's the procedure mentioned in the manual. Never had a problem doing it this way.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
hperros

Post by hperros »

My understanding is that it is self-purging. I keep the key to the glow position for about 20 seconds and then I let the engine run for a while to make sure that the air has been purged. I was told to fill up the filter with diesel, so I always keep a small amount of diesel in a water bottle.
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331