Hatch hinge repair

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

elk

Hatch hinge repair

Post by elk »

One of the large overhead hatches in the main cabin has a broken hinge pin. It could get interesting if the other one breaks too, only the handles would be holding the hatch closed.

Has anyone ever replaced the hinge or hinge pin in one of the large hatches? I'm looking for guidance.

Also, based on my year and hull number, what head is in there. It's electric and either a Wilcox Crittendon or a Raritan, but I'm not clear which one. I'm asking because Active Captain has a Defender deal on Raritan macerators and I'd like to get a spare.

I spoke with Warren Pandy and he wasn't sure since they kept no records of that info.

Thanks,

Ed
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
Flagmanmike

Re: Hatch hinge repair

Post by Flagmanmike »

Hi, My hull #314 has a Raritan. Hope that helps.
elk

Post by elk »

Yes,thank you, that does help. Warren told me they changed over from the Critendons to the Raritan, so that would, hopefully, make ours the same.

Thanks again.

Ed
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
johnthejetpilot

Post by johnthejetpilot »

Hello Elk! Did you ever replace the hinge pins in hatches over salon? I am about to undertake the project after ordering 3 replacment kits (might as well do Forward hatch too) from CatalinaDirect. Just looking for feedback on any challenges you faced and time it took you? Attached is a pix of why I am doing this (failed hinge pins)..John McF
pix of port hatch in main salon taken from topside facing forward
pix of port hatch in main salon taken from topside facing forward
IMG_5411.jpeg (12.4 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
Ave Maria
Hull 212
Kenosha, WI
elk

Post by elk »

I did get it done. Pretty straightforward, a little tedious. You’ll need a couple small Allen keys, or something similar that you can turn out the old hinge with. The directions that came with the replacement were helpful. Took about an hour.

Good luck,

Ed
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA