Raw Water Pump Housing Leaking

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Last Boat

Post by Last Boat »

While changing the engine oil this weekend I noticed my Raw Water Pump Housing had signs of leakage. The housing has some slits and this is where the leakage appeared to have come from. Has this been noticed by anyone else?
Nelson Gainey
Last Boat
C350 #345
Chips Ahoy!

Post by Chips Ahoy! »

There is a plate and gasket on the engine side of the impeller.
I had to clean up the plate and replace the gasket.
Didn't have a leak but it didn't look right.

This is the culprit according to Nigel Calder's book. The slits are telltales so you know that water is getting passed the plate..if not fixed it will eventually damage the engine.

I would seek professional or at least more experienced advice.
Good Luck with this.

Thanks for your post regarding the Raymarine.
I'll call them and find out which parts is should be returning.
-george
-george pringle
Chips Ahoy! #232
Staten Island (Great Kills Harbor), NY
Last Boat

Post subject: Raw Water Pump Housing Leaking

Post by Last Boat »

George, I thank you for the reply on my Raw Water Pump Housing Leak, I have already begun to elevate this issue with my dealer and Universal Westerbeke. As far as the Raymarine Autopilot parts to return, I just pulled my Fluxgate Compass and the Computer. I did not pull the Control portion (at the Edson). My Fluxgate was located in the lower portion of the Port side locker in the aft-stateroom and the Computer was located under the bed center area across from the muffler. You have to pull about 13 wires from the Computer. There is a little tab above the hole the wire is in, just push on the tab and the wire will release. I recommend you label these wires well. I hope you receive the same results as I did.
Nelson Gainey
Last Boat
C350 #345