Jump Starter

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

tmh

Jump Starter

Post by tmh »

Still looking for an external jump starter. I have looked at Weego and Noco [by both Defender and West Marine].
Has anyone used one? If so, what CCA/MCCA would you recommend?
What is needed to start the Universal 35M diesel?
Is this 35M motor 6 liter [or less]?
Thanks for any advice.
Mike
Irish Ayes
KenKrawford

Re: Jump Starter

Post by KenKrawford »

Mike , I don't have any personal experience with a battery pack but there was a great discussion on the C34 message board about them. Look at the 4th response in particular from Mainsail. He's the guy who has the often cited "Marinehowto.com" web site and is quite respected in boating circles.

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,104 ... l#msg80979
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
SeaBreeze

Post by SeaBreeze »

Universal manual says 75.5 cubic inch, so yes, I would say it’s a bit less than 6 liters.
Rick
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
tmh

Post by tmh »

Ken,
Thank you very much for this link.
Great post by a marine electrician and basically the technology/jumper construction is not there yet to work on big marine batteries and diesel engines.
Thanks again

Mike
Mike
Irish Ayes
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

Another data point. Last year, my Ford Expedition had to be jumped after we returned from a month long cruise. I borrowed one of the new lithium ion jump starters from someone at the marina. I have used the larger lead acid jump packs for this sort of thing successfully for many years. The unit I borrowed wouldn't start the vehicle, but we had no issue jumping it from another vehicle. FWIW, the car's battery was on its way out and I replaced it a few days later. It's only 1 instance, but I don't think I'm sold on them, especially for trying to jump start anything on a large battery bank, like our boats. The depleted battery bank will suck the capacity out of the booster before it has a chance to start the engine. The Mainsail article referenced above is why I decided to install an emergency start battery on our boat rather than carry any kind of jumper pack.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.