Replace original Batteries

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

jackpaley1

Replace original Batteries

Post by jackpaley1 »

NONE YET AGAIN is a MKII 2007. After 13 years the batteries are finally dead. The boat has been flawless and with the exception of the knotmeter has preformed perfectly. Why would I change battery type?
Is there a cost or ease of install benefit?
The boat is out of the water 6 months and when it is in the water it is at a slip with shore power.
wolfe10

Re: Replace original Batteries

Post by wolfe10 »

Before we can even comment on whether your current size and technology of battery are the best for your usage, we will certainly need to know what you currently have! Also, how much overnight usage with no shore power?
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
jackpaley1

Post by jackpaley1 »

The original Batteries are EXIDE NAUTILUS GOLD #NG-4D, produced December 2007. Specs, on battery are 850 MCA and 250 Minutes Reserve.
Planning on replacing with ULTRAPOWER EV4D MCA @32 F 1625, reserve capacity375. With a price of $235.85 each I do not see the need to upgrade.
Most of the summer using shore power when not sailing. Please advise.
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Jack, I’ll admit I’m a bit biased toward golf cart batteries. A 4D battery weighs about 130 lbs.. I know batteries only have to be replaced ever 4-8 yrs depending on your situation but the 4D’s are a beast to move. Four golf cart batteries will give you an equivalent number of amp hours as a pair of 4D’s at about the same cost and just require a bit of simple wiring in series to make them functional.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
SeaBreeze

Post by SeaBreeze »

You can buy 4 Duracell GC2’s for under $400 at Sam’s. Less weight, less money than 4D’s.
Rick
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze