ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SHUTDOWN SWTICH

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

ps23435

ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SHUTDOWN SWTICH

Post by ps23435 »

Hello All! I need to replace my oil pressure shutdown switch. One of the connection blades has snapped off into the connector wire on the alarm side opening the circuit and causing the alarm to sound (buzzer and light). Engine was running normally, starts normally and oil levels are OK so I am pretty sure the problem is electrical. I will need to replace the switch since the contact blade is broken off at the base, plus if one has broken off the other which is just as old and exposed to the same conditions is likely going to go bad as well. The part isn't the problem, getting it out seems to be. Any advice from anyone who has removed/replaced there switch? What tool? Breaking it free? Of course it is in a difficult spot and hard to visualize because of being blocked by another engine part. Any thoughts appreciated! Thanks for any help!
Attachments
Oil Pressure Shutdown Switch
Oil Pressure Shutdown Switch
2.JPG (24.47 KiB) Viewed 2209 times
Oil Pressure Shutdown Switch Top
Oil Pressure Shutdown Switch Top
1.JPG (21.52 KiB) Viewed 2209 times
New Switch
New Switch
3.JPG (21.86 KiB) Viewed 2209 times
Pete & Anita
Slip Away #437
Hampton, VA
leigh weiss

Re: ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SHUTDOWN SWTICH

Post by leigh weiss »

My oil switch was easier to replace by removing the bolts that hold the mounting bracket as well as the oil hose that connects to the filter base.
I used this time to clean the mounting bolts and bracket which held the engine battery ground. Used dielectric grease to protect the connectors from corrosion and secured the wires to reduce vibration induced fatigue. The part numbers for the oil switch i used is ACD#C1804A or GM# 19190665.
Found parts on Amazon, ebay or local auto parts store. About $11.
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
Amnesia

Post by Amnesia »

When mine broke a number of years ago I was away from home port. I called a mechanic who brought the replacement, and swapped them out using an oversize socket wrench.

Upon return to home port I bought a spare switch and the correct size socket for my tool kit... haven't had a repeat yet in 10 years though.

I don't know the socket size, but can check when I get down to the boat next time.
Mike Emery

S/V Amnesia
Cat350 #169
ps23435

Post by ps23435 »

Thanks. I had not thought of a large socket. I managed to get it out using medium size vice grips and small turns once it broke free. I'll use the old one to size a socket for next time.
Pete & Anita
Slip Away #437
Hampton, VA
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

There is a socket specifically for the oil sender. I have one, but there is no part number on it.I am located in south Jersey close to the Delaware Memorial Bridge. If you need to borrow it. Shipping would be about what I payed for it. I think about $10. I think I got it from a local auto parts store. It works better than the pliers.
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA