Newbie Charles Breaker ON/OFF?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Fiftybucks

Newbie Charles Breaker ON/OFF?

Post by Fiftybucks »

Charles Charger switch setting
i have a Xantrex 2000 inverter charger. It looks as if i also have the original Charles charger. do I always leave the charles breaker off, although recently 2 weeks ago turned that lowest panel breaker 'ON' ?
Also... on the scuttlebutt forum, i posted photos of the 2 AGM 4ds that are toast. I will replace with new AGMs...4ds ..

When do i use the Inverter button on the Xantrex panel.
Cheers Hull #380
wolfe10

Re: Newbie Charles Breaker ON/OFF?

Post by wolfe10 »

Yes, the Xantrex 2000 inverter/charger has superior charging algorithms to the Charles.

It must be programmed, either from the remote Xantrex panel if you have one, or on the unit self. You will be programming the following:
Battery technology: AGM
Battery size in amp-hrs. 2 4D's are about 420 amp-hrs @12 VDC
Temperature-- your conditions unless you have the optional Xantrex temperature probe on the battery.

Directions for programming are in your Xantrex manual or at Xantrex's website.

Consider the Charles a backup unit to NOT be turned on unless the Xantrex fails. Just tape the breaker OFF.

Question about leaving the inverter on-- On most Xantrex's the charge function is active with or without the switch being turned on. Said another way, on most the ON-OFF switch only activates the inverter function (12 VDC to 120 VAC).

As such, the best advice (if your works as in the above paragraph) is to leave it OFF unless you want to be able to use 120 VAC from the battery bank. The reason is that the inverter does take some amp-hrs (power from the battery) just in standby mode.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL