Headliner discoloration & mildew

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

sv.divine.grace

Headliner discoloration & mildew

Post by sv.divine.grace »

Since the purchase of our boat (6yrs) we have had a yellowish substance on our headliner that I tried to get of, unsuccessfully, with various cleaners and pads. This year our boat had some serious mildew stains that Magic Eraser would not even remove. I was told about Mold Control (Concrobium) and gave it a try. To my surprise it also took off the yellowish staining.
Concrobium cleaner.jpg
Concrobium cleaner.jpg (45.39 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
before & after 1.jpg
before & after 1.jpg (70.39 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
KenKrawford

Re: Headliner discoloration & mildew

Post by KenKrawford »

Thanks for posting your find. I have the same problem and have used various products with varying success. My observation is that the stains tend to go away with treatment but then slowly return over time. I suspect there is something (uncured resin??) that is leeching out over time.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Chips Ahoy!

Re: Headliner discoloration & mildew

Post by Chips Ahoy! »

I had success with a small steam cleaner (McCulloch).
The stains wiped clean quickly on both the headliner and the baseboards under the cabinets and seats.
It also cleaned up yellowing on the walls in the head.
I was also able to clean up the port shades.
Pass the steam over the area and follow with a clean cloth.

It made quick work of it.

I use it all over the boat now.
-george pringle
Chips Ahoy! #232
Staten Island (Great Kills Harbor), NY
tranquil

Re: Headliner discoloration -not a leak?

Post by tranquil »

Greetings from the Windy City

I noticed what I thought were pale-ish yellow wobbly/wave-like marks on the white part of the ceiling (headliner?) from before the port deck window/hatch above the salon wall all the way across the salon, around the corner and over to where the head wall meets the forward bow berth. There are no similar marks in the head on the ceiling; just in the salon. I assumed they were water marks indicating a leak from above - the only thing above that area is the mast.

In looking at the photo's of the headline discoloration, these marks are somewhat similar but different in that my marks look like dried out water/leaking marks, but basically the same color as the headliner discoloration.

Is headliner discoloration confirmed or is there possibility of a leak from the mast? Would prefer discoloration, but a truth seeker. Horribly allergic to mold. Tranquil is a 2004 hull #184 and has fared so well - the starboard salon hatch hinge just started leaking and the old Newport toilet was re-glued down a couple years ago and the "suck in the water part of the pump" just failed at the end of this summer but the "pump out part" is still useable. She is mold free, only have to cleanup the bilge and shower sump with bleach occasionally thru the summers in Chicago.

So blessed to have this 350! Much better than the 355's in my opinion. Hoping to retire early next April and finally be able to spend significant time on her - so loading up the to-do list for next year.
Thanks
Teri
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com