Remote start/stop

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

SeaBreeze

Remote start/stop

Post by SeaBreeze »

Has anyone installed a second start key and push button in the engine compartment? I’m thinking about doing this to make it easier to change oil and filters(oil and fuel). Steps have to be removed to access the engine, change oil and filters, then steps reinstalled so I can climb to the cockpit to start the engine, down the steps to check for leaks, up the steps to shut off the engine, remove the steps to mount the engine cover, reinstall the steps. Whew - I need a beer just writing about it. Being able to start and stop the engine while sitting on the cabin sole in front of the engine while checking for a leak around the new oil and fuel filters would be a big plus. To anticipate some comments, I’ll stipulate that I’m too old and inflexible to climb over the engine with the steps removed and don’t always have another person to sit in the cockpit while I work. If someone has installed a remote start station I would like to read how you did it.
Rick
Sea Breeze
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
Triumph

Re: Remote start/stop

Post by Triumph »

Go to your local auto parts store and buy a remote started kit/ It's two alligator clips connected by a push button.

You clip the red wire to the red power cable at the starter. The black cable gets connected to the terminal on the starter. It’s usually a smaller wire terminal very near the power cable. Once the wires are connected you push the button to engage the started motor and the engine will start. It will also start your engine if your switch or key should fail. A real handy thing that I always carry on boats.
You can find these at most automotive stores, Amazon, or Ebay for about $6.

Look for details in an article I wrote for SAIL soon, and on my website soon. www.thebookofsail.com

Bill on TRIUMPH
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Two points:

There are TWO parts to starting-- glow plug activation and THEN starting. Not just starting.

You will still need to climb to the cockpit to shut down the engine (manual fuel shut-off).

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

I share your love of climbing up and down while working on the engine with the steps removed.
My "work around" is to have the engine warmed up and shut down. Then turn off the engine power at the batter switch then ignition key on, remote starter push button temp installed, and when you want to start the engine, battery switch on and crank away.
You will have to reinstall the steps to shut down. The problem with this is if you have to shut down in a hurry you need to install the steps, or have a helper standing by or get younger friends.
Good luck with your project and let us know how it went.
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

My recollection is that you can shut off the fuel to stop the engine from below, but I am away from the boat now and cannot confirm. I believe I had a problem at one time where I did not reinstall the throttle linkage correctly and did not have enough travel on the kill switch to shut off the fuel, so I was unable to kill the engine from the helm. My recollection is that there was sufficient slack in the throttle linkage on the engine to simply manually push it in the direction it needed to go to stop the fuel flow. You can confirm by having one person pull the helm kill switch while watching the mechanism on the engine and see if you can move the mechanism from below to kill the engine.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Yes, you can push the fuel shutoff lever on the engine from below to kill the motor, BUT (read that a large BUT) it is very easy to bend the throttle PULL cable by PUSHING it. Said another way, that cable was designed to be PULLED, not PUSHED.

As an emergency solution, great.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
RalphL

Post by RalphL »

I installed an engine Start box near the engine on my C36 (M35B). Details and description are in Mainsheet, Spring 2018 edition.

Ralph Lee