Albemarle Loop Question

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

KenKrawford

Albemarle Loop Question

Post by KenKrawford »

We are meeting some friends on their C42 in Oriental NC and planning on spending a week doing the Albemarle Loop. For those not familiar, there are (currently) 9 marinas in small towns that offer free dockage for 48 hrs. along this area of Albemarle Sound.
For those who have done this trip, I'm looking for advice or suggestions especially as it relates to "must see" stops or place that were disappointing. Any other feedback is most appreciated.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
hperros

Re: Albemarle Loop Question

Post by hperros »

I have been to Manteo, Elizabeth city, and Columbia. Manteo is probably the better place, followed by Elizabeth city, and then Columbia. Getting into Manteo was problematic last year when I was there because it is shallow at the junction where you have to turn from the main channel into the channel that takes you to Manteo.

The Allbermarle sound is not very big, and spending a week there maybe too much. If I were you I would go first to Occracoke from Oriental, and from there head to Manteo. You can stop at Engelhard on the way to Manteo. I have not been there but they say it is a nice quiet place. The channel from the sound to Manteo is a little weird but navigable, just follow the buoys and not what the GPS chart is showing!! It becomes very wide after the Oregon Inlet. From Manteo you can go to Elizabeth city, Columbia, and other places you may like to visit and return via the Alligator river cut to Belhaven. If you have time, you can go up the Pamlico sound to Bath. The old town near the marina is very quaint, and it is also the place where Blackbeard lived for a while.

Happy sailing.
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331
KenKrawford

Re: Albemarle Loop Question

Post by KenKrawford »

Thanks for the info Harry. We’re still fine tuning the trip and will consider your suggestions.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA