sailing to Cuba from the Dry Tortugas

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

nybor

sailing to Cuba from the Dry Tortugas

Post by nybor »

Hi. I am not worried about getting thrown in a prison there (well see below), but crossing the Gulf Stream in December in 2.5 weeks, YES! I wonder if anyone has done it (and lived- wait, if they didn't I guess they couldn't respond!) I would love to have some advice. I know that a North/Northeast/East wind is a bad sign, but if it is only 10 kts. maybe????

We are going to Marina Hemingway on the 12th and HAVE to be back by the 26th. I know that just saying that is not a great idea, but I have a deposition on the 28th.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, caveats, warnings, dire predictions, etc. would be welcome.

dave
ps. my buddy is a Neuroscientist at UF (like me (Engineer)) BUT has a German passport as well. I ask Jake (aka Wolfgang) what happens if we get thrown into a Cuba prison? He responded, " Dave, don't worry. I will use my German passport to get to Miami and then see if I can get you out!!!!!!"

ps. You can understand my apprehension for the trip!!
wolfe10

Re: sailing to Cuba from the Dry Tortugas

Post by wolfe10 »

Very similar to planning a FL to Bahamas passage-- about the same distance as W Palm- Memory Rock- Great Sale.

You will be steering close to due south and be "lifted" east by the Gulf Stream.

The most important thing is that the WEATHER, NOT YOUR DESIRED SCHEDULE DETERMINES THE SCHEDULE!!!! When desiring to cross to the Bahamas (5 times) we have left that night, and other times not had a reasonable "weather window" for 2 weeks.

From the third website below (reinforcement of what/who determines the schedule):
This Afternoon: Tropical storm conditions possible. Southeast to south winds 25 to 30 knots, decreasing to near 25 knots late. Seas 9 to 11 feet. Widespread rain, numerous squalls, and isolated thunderstorms. Can you say: "not even in an emergency"!

Saturday Night: East winds 5 to 10 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Isolated showers and thunderstorms. Still not ideal wind direction (wind opposite the flow of the Gulf Stream), but 2-3' seas, not 9-11'!

Some websites of interest for your crossing as well as FL to Bahamas crossings:

https://www.passageweather.com/

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=23.77;-82.23;8&l=wind-10m

https://www.wunderground.com/MAR/GM/034.html
Last edited by wolfe10 on Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
nybor

Post by nybor »

excellent info. Thanks.
I am trying to get out of the depo, so we will have 3 weeks available.

dave
nybor

Post by nybor »

Well, we made it back from Cuba. Great trip and the Stream was not a problem. Customs in Cuba and Key West.....not so.
I would recommend Varadero (78 miles east of Havana) as a fantastic trip/marina.

dave