Wheel or below deck autopilot?

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

hperros

Wheel or below deck autopilot?

Post by hperros »

The 350 I bought recently does not have an autopilot. Not including installation, the wheel autopilot costs around $1500, and the below deck one around $4000. Unless I am wrong, the below deck autopilot consumes a lot of amps (around 28). Somehow, I got the impression that the below deck autopilot is commonly used in 350s. Is this correct? Is there any reason why I should not get the cheaper and easier to install wheel autopilot, since the specs say that it's good for boats up to 40' feet? Any suggestions from the more experienced 350 owners will be highly appreciated.
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331
russp

Re: Wheel or below deck autopilot?

Post by russp »

Hi ???? (sorry, preview screen doesn't show your name),
I am very sure "below deck" autopilot doesn't draw 28A, I have sailed hard on autopilot and no external power input for 36 hours without flattening the battery.
It is presumably more expensive because a) it is a more complicated installation, b) it is out of the way totally, and c) is maybe more robust. Depends on whether you want autopilot to free you up for a bit while you do other stuff, or if you want it to take over the helming load on a long (multiday) crossing. If I was doing the latter, would definitely go with the "factory" decision. Direct drive onto the rudder shaft.
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
Pete Bruzik

Post by Pete Bruzik »

Hi! When we ordered our 350 in 2002 we did not get the autopilot. I figured that I would get a wheel pilot and save some bucks... what a project... the problem is that the pedestal does not have clearance for the unit. SO I had to special order from Edison a longer shaft wheel piece. Then we were struck by lightening and it fried - original unit was no longer available so replaced with below decks. Issue is that the wheel pilot (largest at time) could not handle more than light seas.
Best,
Pete Bruzik C350 #107
sargentef

Post by sargentef »

If you have a folding wheel, will the wheel pilot mount?

Seawing # 309
Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

We have below deck (i.e. piston on rudder post) drive Raymarine.

Works great and doesn't consume 28 amps of power. Unobtrusive and out of the weather.

You can "tune" the frequency of correction (from the control head) so it doesn't actuate as often and also conserves even more power.

My only complaint is that Raymarine came out with an even BETTER autopilot a year or two after I installed five years ago. Technology marches on!

Bob
Guinevere
Guinevere
hperros

Post by hperros »

Thank you for your comments. I thought that I can make a hole in the binnacle so the black cylinder attached to the wheel autopilot (whatever its name) can go in.. but, even if this works out, the wheel autopilot seems to be for light conditions, or for leaving the wheel for a very short period.

I also checked the specs for the Raymarine EV-200 Pilot Package with Type 1 Linear Drive , and it draws a maximum of 30 watt not amps !!!. Somewhere else it said it draws between 18-36 Watt , i.e., round to 2-3 amp hour. So, I will go for the below the deck option. It will make a nice addition.
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331