Adding AIS transceiver

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

PMueller

Adding AIS transceiver

Post by PMueller »

I would like to add AIS (transmit and receive) to my 2006 Raymarine chart plotter. Any hints on the easiest unit to connect with the Raymarine?
Paula Mueller
Brilliant #412
jbd3

Re: Adding AIS transceiver

Post by jbd3 »

If I recall correctly it was literally one wire to run from the Standard Horizon VHF AIS reciever to the Raymarine chartplotter and a port speed reconfiguring. It has worked great.
Chuck_on_Hudson

Post by Chuck_on_Hudson »

It will depend on what kind of NMEA interface you have in the chartplotter. For the C80 Raymarine chartplotter, I had to install an Actisense NDC multiplexer to get a Vesper AIS to talk to the chartplotter. The C80 has the NMEA 0183. My boat is 2005. Pulling wires to the helm station is the hardest part of the job.
PMueller

Post by PMueller »

Just so the information is out there we were able to add the Digital Yacht AIT2000 to interface with our Raymarine C80. We needed to use the NEMA 0183 output on the C80 and then run a power wire and hook up the GPS dome (that comes with it) and a VHF antenna that we installed on our bimini. With the boat in the yard (so it is up on stands) we can "see" objects 30+ miles away with this configuration. We will see how it works on the water when we splash tomorrow.
Paula Mueller Brilliant Hull # 412
Prairie Gold

Post by Prairie Gold »

Hi Paula - In my experience the range for detecting AIS from the "big ships" is 25-30nm. However, please note that with a class B system you are likely to be only seen for 7nm or so. One problem I am having with my C80 and and the NMEA0183 connection is that the heading on the plotter gets locked. For example, if I am heading 180degrees M, then turn on the NMEA to the AIS speed and make a turn, the heading shown in the plotter no longer responds and stays locked at 180 degrees despite actually heading, for example, 360degrees. If you find a work around please let me know how you solved the problem. Cheers Phil