Main Sail Furler

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

tpeschio

Main Sail Furler

Post by tpeschio »

I have a 2004 Catalina 350, Hull Number 286. I have had it for all of its 10 years. The foil in the in-mast mainsail furler bangs in the mast as the boat rocks in its slip. I assume the top of the foil is free floating except for the halyard attached to the mail sail. Are others with this rig experiencing the same thing? Or do I have a problem?

It has gotten a bit more annoying since we moved to Lake Michigan - more wave action in the marina. Any wisdom is appreciated. Thanks, tp. C-350, #286.
Tom Peschio
m'LadyJ C-350 #286
Slip E-27, Eldean Shipyard
Macatawa, Michigan
tpeschio@peschio.com
Cell: 402-689-1736
Land: 772-234-4326
pdenoncourt

Re: Main Sail Furler

Post by pdenoncourt »

Tom,

I recently took my mainsail off for repairs, and the marina dockmaster called me about the constant noise of the furler banging in the mast. I found an easy solution. There is a puck that slides up the furler, to which you fasten the head of the sail and the halyard. I tied a 50' line to the bottom shackle (the one that the mainsail head fastens to) and the halyard to the top shackle, and then hoisted it about 3/4 of the way to the top. This totally eliminated the noise. When it is time to replace the mainsail, just release the halyard and pull it down using the 50' line.

Best regards,
Peter Denoncourt
Kite, C350 #72
nybor

Re: Main Sail Furler

Post by nybor »

Hi. I was wondering if anybody has replaced the main furling line without removing the sail? It seems like I could use a coat hangar shaped like a question mark and thread the new line around the auger flights. But, if I tried this, would it still be possible to loosen that bolt that holds the end of the line (ie, get to it?)

thanks

dave, Nybor