Damper Replacement

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Aussie Mate

Re: Damper Replacement

Post by Aussie Mate »

Checking we can post in forums as we are having issues. Ken can you let me know if you see this?
Bruce Whyte
s/v Aussie Mate
C350 #357
Aussie Mate

Post by Aussie Mate »

Double check with picture attached, not of a damper.
Bruce Whyte
s/v Aussie Mate
C350 #357
Aussie Mate

Post by Aussie Mate »

No picture. Try again.
Bruce Whyte
s/v Aussie Mate
C350 #357
CaptainLarry2

Post by CaptainLarry2 »

I'm Replacing the damper plate with a PYI. I have put considerable hours on the Sachs I replaced 4 years ago but now it seems it getting noisy especially with hot. Ben at PYI has informed me that there is a new number for the part - RD-22A-M4 (the AA was switched to AM). Has any one installed this one - is it quite?
Thanks
Larry
Kathleen Anne (for sale)
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

I have been in touch with PYI regarding an RD-22AM-4 damper plate.

Ben at PYI initially asked for the OD of the backing plate, number of bolts on flywheel fixing, diameter of these bolts and distance between holes on the flywheel fixing. Then I mentioned that several C350 owners have installed this plate with good results, so he said if its been done by others it should be good.
However he gave me the following diamensions of the proposed RD-22AM-4:
-OD of Backing plate 6.12 Inches
-No. of bolts on flywheel fixing: 5
-Dia of bolts on flywheel fixing: 0.25 Inches
-Distance between the holes: 5.593 Inches
Then he suggested i check if these measurements would work for me, just to be sure.

I'm a little confused why he asking this, maybe just a CYA thing. Its not something i can easily check so I'm asking for input from those of you who have done this upgrade. Should i just order one and get going on it, I do plan to have a mechanic do it along with some other work? (I did put in a new dripples shaft seal about 150 hours ago) Did the plate fit properly for you folks right out of the box?

Sand Dollar is #031 and has the standard Universal 35B/Hurth150, it has 1900 hours now and the vibration is getting worse.

thanks for any input you can offer.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
Hans v. d. Weijden

Post by Hans v. d. Weijden »

Dear Kirk,

I can confirm that the RD-22AM-4 fits perfectly. My engine had more then 2200 hours and was making a lot of noise and vibration.
After replacing the damper plate last October ( I did this myself with the help of a friend using the article of Jerry Ross on the forum) it looks like I am having a new boot. The noise and vibration is totally gone. I should have replaced the damper plate years earlier.

Kind regards,
Hans v. d. Weijden
#254, Swan (Netherlands)
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Hans

Thanks for the input. I printed out the article from Jerry Ross and that along with your experience had me order the plate today. It's 232.00 USD and in stock, shipping to me tomorrow.

Thanks again
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
roostermt

Re: Damper Replacement HELP!

Post by roostermt »

ok.. Boat on the hard have flange off shaft (took 10 hours to get off) and shaft slid back. all 6 transmission bolts loose.

Can not get the Transmission to break away from the engine. Any tips?

I've tried everything I can think of and need to get it off so I can put the new damper plate in. No room for screwdriver. Tried prying off, no love. Used a board underneeth to help (jiggle loose) Nor sure what else to try.. HELP!

Rooster
Last edited by roostermt on Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

rooster,
the transmission and rear bell housing is held on with bolts (remove completely) and aligned with two pin/studs. I can send you a pix of the parts as they came off.
I assume that you are talking about the universal engine with the Hurth transmission.
post your e-mail so I can send pix.
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
roostermt

Post by roostermt »

Leigh,

Thanks and yes the 35 and Hurth.

I did get it off today. Used a pry bar to get it started but could only get the paint cracked on the port side.

Ended up using a 2x2 about a yardstick long placed under the engine from the front (stairs) placed it against the starboard side transmission and gave a little tap and it finally came apart enough to get a screwdriver in.

Damper plate in and a little tranny recondition and will put it all back together. Hope for a quiet engine.
SubVet

Post by SubVet »

Anyone have updates on this?
roostermt

Post by roostermt »

If your referring to my project all went well and following all the information here worked just fine. Some of the engine rattle noise went away and that was a good thing.

Hardest part was getting the transmission coupler off the shaft. I saw a tool on Catalina Direct wonder if anybody has used that one.

Rooster
Rooster

SV Life Of Chill
https://lifeofchill.com
Hull 441