Recommendations for Replacing Electronics

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

MikeDH

Recommendations for Replacing Electronics

Post by MikeDH »

I'm considering replacing the original Raymarine electronics (C80 Chartplotter, ST6002 autopilot, etc.) with upgraded equipment on my 2008 C350 MKII. Adding AIS integrated into the chartplotter is a "must have" while radar and forward looking sonar are "nice to haves." I'm leaning towards B&G's Zeus2 or Zeus3 systems. Anyone who's done a complete electronics upgrade and has any recommendations, as well as pitfalls to avoid, I would appreciate hearing from. Thanks in advance.
R.B.

Re: Recommendations for Replacing Electronics

Post by R.B. »

I just replaced all of my Raymarine systems with Garmin. Garmin autopilot, Garmin MFD at the helm, and Garmin wind speed. Everything is now running on a NMEA 2000 network. The Garmin MFD is capable of forward sonar and radar, although I do not have either installed. The only "gotcha" I ran into is the depth sounder. Although it is a Waymar sounder made for Raymarine, it would not connect to the NMEA 2000 network with a NMEA 2000 converter. Tech support lead me to believe that Raymarine uses a custom signal that only Raymarine products will communicate with. So I will need to either replace the the depth sensor or get a Raymarine converter (both around $300 Cdn) For now I rewired the Raymarine display temporarily.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
MikeDH

Post by MikeDH »

Thanks very much Ralph. I really appreciate the info and will put Garmin on the list possibilities.
Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I replaced all of ours with new Raymarine (e95, i70, HD color radar, pre-Evolution autopilot) with the exception of the sensors themselves when we bought the boat in 2012. Used an iTC-5 to interface to the existing sensors. All new Seatalkng network (NEMA 2000) and SeatalkHS for radar.

Not a small job but the system works very well and I REALLY appreciated the access and routing that was available in the 350. Much easier to work in than a lot of boats!

Bob
Guinevere
Guinevere
MikeDH

Post by MikeDH »

Thank you Bob. I very much appreciate the input.