locker under forward berth

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

nybor

locker under forward berth

Post by nybor »

Ok, would someone (likely Leigh) please explain:

1. How the $%*(+$*+ do you get to that huge locker under the mattress without a chain saw and cutting the mattress in half
2. Assuming (a very iffy word) that one can get to it easily, what do you store in it?

The 2 is because any water entering the chain locker runs thru it to the bilge, so it is not a dry location. I was thinking of adding a false floor raised above the hull, but because of the difficulty in me getting to it......

Thanks in advance.

dave
Nybor
wolfe10

Re: locker under forward berth

Post by wolfe10 »

Re #2:

Cut a 4" PVC thin wall pipe in half along its long axis. Cut to exact length of the locker. Using it as the "mold", fiberglass it in over the "trough" of the locker (water course). Water will now run through it.

It is now a DRY locker.

Use it for stuff you don't need very often.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
pjr

Post by pjr »

This is where I installed the anchor washdown pump; tee'd in to the head sea water intake.
Peter Richards
Catalina 350, # 402, 'Imagine'
Mark Sutherland

Post by Mark Sutherland »

Just curious, does your boat not have a 55 gallon water tank under the forward cabin mattress like mine (2006). Or is there a space forward of the tank that I've yet to discover? Thanks.
Mark Sutherland,
Dunrobin III
Hull #388 (2006)
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Mark,

Yes, forward of water tank under forward berth. A large area-- usable for stuff you don't need very often IF you install a water channel to drain the anchor locker.

"Burrow" forward under the mattress to find it.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Richard Ad

Post by Richard Ad »

Hello Nybor: I'd check to see where the water is coming from. I frequently wash out my anchor locker with both sea water (when at anchor and using my anchor wash down pump) and at dock (using fresh water). I spray a lot of water in my locker to clean the chain & rope rode. There is an above the waterline through hole that this water should be exiting. My bilge never takes on water when washing out my anchor locker. There is an access plate in your anchor locker that should be removed, silicone'd, and replaced to prevent water from flowing from your anchor pulpit and penetrating the edges of this plate. Even then, it shouldn't run through the V-berth locker. I'll check mine next time I go to the boat.
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Agreed, the anchor locker itself drains overboard.

But front chainplate for head stay, bow rollers, joints around FG anchor locker, etc area all sources of water into that compartment.

We have been able to reduce water intrusion from that area, but that area "works" enough that I would not count on a 100% sealed area.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL