Replenishing refrigerant

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's air conditioning here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Richard Thabit

Replenishing refrigerant

Post by Richard Thabit »

My Westerbeke Rotary Aire AC unit turns on, the panel states cool and fan, the compressor comes on, discharge water flows out and all seems OK until I feel that the air coming out is not really cold. I am guessing that I need to add some R22 refrigerant.
My problem is that I have no idea where the charging valves are located and I would like to minimize what I have to remove to access them.

Can anyone explain what I should open up and remove to get at the charging valves? Is it from inside the lazarette or from inside the boat at either the air intake or main air out flow in the galley? The Rotary Aire Operators Manual does not show how to do this nor show the charging valve location.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Richard
C350 111
Three Sheets
Haverstraw Marina, NY
pdenoncourt

Re: Replenishing refrigerant

Post by pdenoncourt »

Richard, there is no easy access to the charging valves. You must remove the white a/c enclosure inside the lazarette. There are many (15-20?) flat head wood screws, some nearly inaccessible that hold this white composition board enclosure together, but with patience and a few choice words, you can remove it and have access to the beast. Many years ago, I did this only to discover that vibration of the loops of copper coils had actually worn a hole through the copper at one point, letting out all the refrigerant. I removed the whole unit and had an a/c guy repair the hole and recharge the system, and he also put some foam between the loops of copper to prevent this happening again. I have had trouble-free operation since this repair in ˜2010.

Good luck,
Peter Denoncourt
C-350 #72, Kite
Richard Thabit

Re: Replenishing refrigerant

Post by Richard Thabit »

Thank you for your reply. It is more than I can do now and will have to wait until I have time in the fall. It works somewhat, just not really as cold.