Cabin Light fixture switch failed

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

MikeDH

Cabin Light fixture switch failed

Post by MikeDH »

The switch on one of the cabin light fixtures failed; one that has a white glass shade not a silver flush mounted fixture. (Tried to post a pic but even a few hundred kb image was too large) Any suggestions on how to remove the fixture and where to find a replacement? Thanks.
wcconway

Re: Cabin Light fixture switch failed

Post by wcconway »

Replacement from Catalina Direct.
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida
MikeDH

Post by MikeDH »

Thanks. Found it on Catalina Direct. Now I just need to figure out how to remove the broken one.
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

The wall mounted light fixtures are removed by popping the chrome base off with a thin putty knife or similar. Once the chrome base pops off there are 2 screws holding the mounting base to the wall. Below is a photo showing how the fixture comes apart. (converted to a JPG image before uploading).
Wall Fixture.JPG
Wall Fixture.JPG (50.57 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
As you can see the chrome plating on our fixtures was becoming ugly, so we replaced ours with an LED fixture from Amazon. We really love them, they are much brighter than the old fixtures, look better, and consume almost no battery capacity.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... dition=new
They are $30/pair. The base is slightly smaller than the original lights, so there is some fading discoloration around the ones mounted on wood in the forward cabin (not on the head vanity or cabin walls). We didn't replace the ones in the aft cabin since it is now the aft garage and used only for storage. You also need to be careful drilling the new mounting holes so that the new lights cover up the old mounting holes. I recommend creating a mounting template to locate the holes properly.

If you would like our old fixtures to salvage the switch, send me a PM and I will ship one to you if you pay the shipping.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
MikeDH

Post by MikeDH »

Gary and Janet - Thank you so much! Very thorough and helpful advice and I appreciate your generous offer. I'll likely just replace the one fixture with the original type (or just the switch - I'll send you a PM) since the other fixtures all look fine at this point and we haven't had any concerns about them not being bright enough. (I believe there are LED replacement bulbs available for the original fixtures, which I likely will order; I've already put LEDs in all the flush mounted cabin lights.) Thank you again (and for the tip on converting pics to JPG).

Michael