2006 head?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's head here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

elk

2006 head?

Post by elk »

I'm starting to have problems with the macerater in my 2006 head, slowing down, stopping, slow to start. I'd like to have a spare to replace it with as soon as I pull the old one. Does anyone know the details of which model head we have or, better yet, the model of the macerator? Any tricks or advice in taking it out?

Thanks,

Ed
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
elk

Re: 2006 head?

Post by elk »

I called Catalina in FL. Seems we have a Raritan SeaEra electric toilet. I hope. :o

Please let me know if I'm wrong. My hull is #399.

Thanks,

Ed
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Ed, I have hull 351 and also have the SeaEra toilet. I've had pretty good luck calling their tech support people. They have 2 contact numbers - 1 in NJ 856-825-4900 and one in FL. 954-525-0378. Tell them the problem you're having and they can give you some solid advice. When I replaced the impeller and macerator blade on mine, I just unbolted it from the floor to access the motor and housing.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
elk

Post by elk »

Ken, that is excellent info! Thank you very much.

Ed
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
Pgtjs

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi there,

I had a factory installed Raritan Sea Era Electric toilet in mine - Hull 392. We found it very very noisy - so much so that the neighbouring boat in our Marina complained that they could hear it at night when it was flushed and we had the hatches open. Also I had to replace the joker valve at least 3 times when the unit lost it's effectiveness. It may not be the macerator that is your problem - try the Joker valve first especially if you use sea water for flushing. Flushing with fresh water using the Shower hose works much better with much less water and more quickly. The joker valve does not seem to fill with salt crystals when this is the case

If you decide to replace it, Raritan have a dual power and manual option - same bowl but not so elevated. I don't know if they sell the replacement with out the bowl - it would save some money. I did this about 2 years ago and have had no problems whatsoever since. I was worried about the size of the evacuation line to the holding tank and whether it would block if the material was not mascerated. Some one else on this website said it was not a problem. We stepped it down in diameter twice in the first 18": it then matched the diameter of the inlet tube on the holding tank. Installation was not difficult provided you pull the panel obscuring the holding tank.

Incidentally I sold the old unit including the old bowl on Craigs List for $250 so the net changeover price was about $500 total including some labour. I think having the electric unit (only) is a "fools paradise" as if it fails when you are on a long voyage you are in trouble with the "Admiral" - they think society has moved past the bucket phase. I often get into some remote place and anchor and don't have to worry about it.

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Geoff. C350 #392, Taeko 1V, Semiahmoo WA.
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
elk

Post by elk »

That is all very good info, thank you.

I do use the shower for flushing, the seacock is off. I doubt the joker valve would stop the motor, but you never know.

Thanks again.

Ed
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA