Reposting a shaft question

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

BillBerner

Reposting a shaft question

Post by BillBerner »

Apologies for the repost. I didn't see it in the emailed digest, and there were no responses, so I figured what the hell

How much prop shaft play do others have at the transmission side. Uncoupled, that is.

I've no play at all at the cutlass bearing, but quite a bit where the shaft enters the stern tube in the boat.

Associated question - my pss seal is not water cooled, nor is my hurth transmission for that matter. Should either or both of those things be spring projects?

Thanks as always
Bill Berner
#66, Stamford CT.
leigh weiss

Re: Reposting a shaft question

Post by leigh weiss »

Bill,
The shaft is about 40" long and as a first class lever with the CB as the fulcrum, you would have lots of movement at the coupling end with little motion at the CB.
As I understand it:
the water cooling or injection of the shaft seal was addressed by Catalina, an upgrade kit was sent to the owners of early boats, later boars had a hose going to a sea cock that allowed water to refresh the seal, provide oxygen to the shaft surface to prevent pit corrosion and bleed the air from the bellows at launch. ( I still burp the bellows at launch. )
The transmission is rated for the horsepower of the M30B without extra cooling. You could add the cooling kit to the transmission, but IMHO would not give much of a benefit.
I hope these thoughts help.
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
BillBerner

Re: Reposting a shaft question

Post by BillBerner »

Thank you Leigh.
That was the answer I was hoping for.

BB
Bill Berner
#66, Stamford CT.