Outhaul length

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

malexander24

Outhaul length

Post by malexander24 »

The outhaul line for the in-mast furler has a cut in the line.
I can find the rope lengths for standard rigs but not for in-mast rigs.
Anyone have the list of line lenghts?
Thanks

Mark Alexander
SV M & M
Kerr Lake NC
Mark Alexander
SV M & M
Kerr Lake NC
william vanwagoner

Re: Outhaul length

Post by william vanwagoner »

I note that there have been no replies on this topic. I have the Charleston furling mast and the outhaul line is falling apart where it is held by the rope clutch and needs replacement. I am assuming about 50 feet of 3/8 inch staset. Has anyone else replaced this line and knows the length?
Bill VanWagoner
Destiny #229
lagordon

Post by lagordon »

Bill,
I just replaced both my outhaul and furling line this season. I used 59' for the outhaul as spec'd in the Charleston manual. More than ample. However, one interesting note: although the spec is for 3/8", the original lines were 7/16". I stuck with the 7/16". It's a bit on the tight side but works well although rigging the new furling line through the boom took a number of attempts.

Larry Gordon
Caroline #297
Larry Gordon
Caroline #297
Wickford, Rhode Island
jonnjones

Post by jonnjones »

I replaced my outhaul a couple of years ago - 46' of 3/8" yacht braid. Have not replaced the mainsail "inhaul" nor the jib furling line. Anyone know these lengths?
Jon and Lori Jones
S/V Wind Orchid
Annapolis
Hull #273
nybor

Re: Outhaul

Post by nybor »

Hi. First off, this Forum is fantastic - THANKS to Ken for doing the dirty work.
So, I want to start replacing my lines. I think the furler one looks easy (probably will wish i hadn't written that!). However, the outhaul line.....
at the tack (or where the line goes up into the boom, there is a piece of string and when I pulled on it, it feels like there is a spring attached. Can't see anything except for the white pulleys. I noticed there are two pulleys in there as well.

Does anyone know what the string is? Regardless, which way should I feed the new line - from the end (clew) of the boom or where the line goes up thru the boom next to the mast? Do you just sew the two (old and new) in line and maybe tape it - or shrink tubing?

thanks

dave
russp

Post by russp »

Just a note re how to feed through new line.....IMHO you stitch the old and new together well trying to minimise increasing the diameter, then tightly tape to stop anything catching. Shrink tubing would work fine too but maybe not as flexible over a pulley?
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
KevinMc

Post by KevinMc »

Agree with the stitching method. I suggest you also torch the two ends of the line you are attaching together to made sure the end of the line is well melted before you start stitching. I had to replace the spinnaker halyard and boy was I nervous! All I could see was the stitching giving way and the halyard parting half way through the job.
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina