AB Evaporator VD-151 - Can U Mount Vertically???

One of everybodies' favorite topics. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's refrigerator here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

ChuteUp

AB Evaporator VD-151 - Can U Mount Vertically???

Post by ChuteUp »

Potential Purchase Situation - The OEM Evaporator needs to be replaced.
Given the space (factory), the VD-150 & VD-151 Adler Barbour Evaporators are the only choices.
The 150 has the built in Ice Tray arrangement which is not preferred.
The 151 would work BUT all the written notes on websites / Brochures label it a Horizontal Unit which is somewhat understandable since a Door usually is lifted or dropped to access a freezer compartment. However, it should work mounted Vertically with the door opening toward the back wall of the compartment. Maybe the door could even be removed.

Has anyone installed or seen a VD-151 installed Vertically? Any Technical sources to access??

Adler Barbour Spec Sheet
http://www.dometic.com/QBankFiles3/EPiS ... _24494.pdf

Thanks in advance for assistance 8)

P.S. Just to clarify.........realized that really want to mount the Evaporator on it's side - so the food, ice would be accessed for the side of the unit. Yes, will need room for door to open toward back wall to allow access to inside Evaporator.
Horizontal would have front access & vertical would have top access.......old unit has side access due to space limitations
Lulu

Re: AB Evaporator VD-151 - Can U Mount Vertically???

Post by Lulu »

if you still have the original spillover system and just replacing the evap the 151 is probably not really big enough even if you have managed to add some insulation to the box.

How you mount it does not matter as it will technically work either way as long as air can circulate behind it.

I was recently faced with the decision on what to do as my original evap broke and repair was not possible. I ended up making it a dual system with independent systems I was running into connector issues on my old cold machine as the ones on my unit did not match the new quick connects and by the time you retrofitted them it was reaching the tipping point of fixing the real problem of not having a big enough system in the first place so I wanted to invest in a longer term solution and replace and have enough cold actually have a freezer that works and have the benefit of new more efficient technology.

I closed off the spillover system and insulated the center wall then installed two isotherm systems. The new compressors fit fine where the old cold machine was in the starboard aft locker and the evaps are bendable so they nicely wrap around the inside of the boxes. I bought digital thermostats that have auto defrost and now I can see exactly what the inside temp is and they regulate much more efficiently than the rotary thermostats.

I now have frozen ice and popcicles when I get to the boat and don't have to worry about one side being to hot or cold. My old system never froze and barely keep the Fridge to 40deg

Not sure how you have retrofitted your boxes for better insulation but whatever it is simply is not good enough do assume double the cubic foot when figuring out what you need if you are in hot weather zones.

I put the isotherm 2012 in fridg and model 2017 in freezer with Carel digital thermostats. Both units combines were around 2300.00 total including thermostats. If you have trouble finding similar prices on the equipment pm me

Happy to answer more questions if needed.
Leslie West
S/V Tiki Hull 154
Docked Pensacola Florida
ChuteUp

Post by ChuteUp »

Thanks SO much for the reply, response to mounting question & description of your new system that sounds more than chilly :D

More thought since posting Thread..........
Agree that 150 & 151 will struggle ........Current (broken) OEM "custom" Evaporator is larger than both of them.
Looked at the VD-152......won't fit in current location (one sided V - left side of Fridge as viewed from front)

New Idea is to get an Evaporator custom shaped (local Fridge guy has AD sheet that can be bent to match).

---------
Sounds like You put a smaller Isotherm in the left side & then the larger unit in the Center Up/Down section if I
have the "picture" right, is that the case??

Agree that would be the ideal solution however not sure the Budget can handle with other items on the list.

Thanks again for response
ChuteUp

Post by ChuteUp »

Latest Update:
Looked at possibly using VD-152 but won't fit sideways (preferred position) because the 15" width would become the Height when turned sideways
which would not fit in original Evap location (left side facing fridge)

Had a local Fridge "expert" look at it & they recommended Dual Evaporators but running off one Compressor Unit - existing CU-100. Although he did mention it takes some "creativity" to link it up.

Re-reading your post, it sounds like you went with two completely separate systems .......am I correct. BTW - I did take a look at them on-line.

Why did you choose Isotherm vs Adler Barbour?

Thanks again in advance 8)
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

I totally missed your questions.. I went with isotherm because of the price, I really wanted independent systems for backup in case one went out and looking at the specs they were much more efficient. I can't speak to their longevity but time will tell. So far so good. I really love the auto defrost feature also
Leslie West
S/V Tiki Hull 154
Docked Pensacola Florida