Fluorescent Light Fixture in Head

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

ps23435

Fluorescent Light Fixture in Head

Post by ps23435 »

Our Cat 350 has a fluorescent fixture (21" bulb) in the overhead on the portside inside the head. It has worked only sporadically in the 3 years we've owned the boat- haven't really needed it so it wasn't a priority to do something about. Am finally getting around to it...replaced the bulb, still not working. Has anyone replaced this fixture? If so, with what? I can't find it on either the 110v or 12v schematics, based on the bulb looks like 110. Any info on anyone's experience with his light appreciated! Thanks.
Pete & Anita
Slip Away #437
Hampton, VA
JerryRoss

Re: Fluorescent Light Fixture in Head

Post by JerryRoss »

I had the same problem. It was the light switch. I just pressed and released the switch many times to clean the contacts which worked. A better solution might be to remove and properly clean the contacts or replace the switch.
Jerry Ross
s/v Coquillage
Catalina 350, Hull #350
digitalvillager

Post by digitalvillager »

The fluorescent fixture in the head is in the 12 volt circuit. I bought two 10" led light bars from my local Sailor's Exchange because I thought they would be useful. I got tired of dealing with the switch continuously when there were more important issues at hand, so I went to Ace Hardware, bought a push button type switch, ripped the guts out of the fluorescent fixture and replaced everything with the led light bar in about 15 minutes without having to drill any new holes. I have no real electrical background, but the conversion was very straight forward. Installation works perfectly and looks very nice. On a difficulty scale of 1 to 4 this would be a 2 because there is electricity involved. Total cost...less than $25.
BTW- the rest of my work scale is as follows:
1 = I could do it blindfolded
2 = Get advice from at least two friends before proceeding
3 = Get a knowledgeable friend to supervise
4 = Hire a Professional
I intend to install the second light bar in the engine space on a flexible leash.
Charlie & Jeanne Monroe
PO Hull #285
Amelia Island, Florida
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

My fluorescent fixture in the head has been dead for several months. I was ready to pitch it out but after reading this thread I decided to test the switch. DEAD. I even had a replacement switch in my parts bins. Life is good.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA