replacing electric motor

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's head here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

nybor

replacing electric motor

Post by nybor »

Hi. My unit died. (i was going to give it a proper "burial at sea", but why pollute...
anyway, I got the new motor, but I am having a hard time removing the old one from the macerator blade. there is a nut holding it onto the motor shaft, but how to loosen it is beyond me. Maybe you don't have to to get it out of the housing. Not sure.

Any ideas?
thanks

dave

ps. shoot. I should have signed it "ken". I would then get.....100,000...1,000, 100... 10... 1...0 responses. so I stand by dave
jking

Re: replacing electric motor

Post by jking »

The nut comes off counterclockwise. Its stiff but it will come off. Use something to hold the blade so you don't cut your fingers trying to stop it from turning. Once you get the nut off the black seal will also be difficult to remove, I had to destroy my seal to get it off. It seems like the black seal is part of the white plastic, but its not, they come apart. I have attached a parts view. I am a toilet expert after 7 toilet surgeries. You will most likely need a new black seal on the motor shaft. Defender Sea Era Electric repair kit #503014 has a whole bunch of parts including the little black seal (part #31-102).
When it comes time to replace mine I am going to seriously consider the nature's head composting toilet.
Jan #303
Attachments
Toilet.png
Toilet.png (218.94 KiB) Viewed 4219 times
nybor

Re: replacing electric motor

Post by nybor »

Thanks! I have the illustration you attached. I finally called Raritan and they said it should slide off easily. Sure enough, once I scraped off the calcium buildup (wow), it did slip off.
So, now to put it back together.

I can't believe how much dealers want for a new toilet! I would have just as happily gotten a hand pump unit. But, since if came with the electric....

Thanks again for the response.

dave
ps. I ordered a new seal as well as some other items. I may go to Defenders and get the repair kit you mentioned as well.