Engine Instrument Panel Gasket

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

ps23435

Engine Instrument Panel Gasket

Post by ps23435 »

Greetings. I need to troubleshoot some gauge issues on my engine instrument panel. As one would expect, after removing the 6 screws the panel will not come off without prying it free from the gasket between it and the pedestal. This will surely destroy the old gasket so I am refraining from removing the panel until I have a new gasket in hand. Any suggestions on where to obtain this gasket? I checked Catalina Direct but while they seem to sell the entire panel, did not find the gasket. Thanks.

Pete S.
Slip Away #437
Hampton, VA
KenKrawford

Re: Engine Instrument Panel Gasket

Post by KenKrawford »

Pete, if you're in a hurry why not get some Permatex and make your own gasket. Otherwise I'd suggest calling Catalina Parts at 727-544-6681.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
jrohrbaugh

Post by jrohrbaugh »

I used some kitchen shelf liner material I found at Target. Worked fine. Just measured and trimmed. Cheap too.

I also have had the ghost attacks on my volt meter recently so I've been able to repeat this process a couple of times.

Good luck.

Jamie
Sail #444
Soixante
Pgtjs

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi there,

I replaced the gasket using the narrow insulation tape which is sticky on one side. It is a soft rubber strip on the other side which is compressed when it is screwed down. Be careful not to overtighten as one corner cracked and I had to seal it back together using crazy glue. A bigger problem was that the guages leaked in moisture through the bezel galss when it was raining. This I solved by having a clear plastic cover shield made by the sail maker and which has press studs to keep it is place. Works just fine now.

Cheers, Geoff. (Taeko 1V, Semiahmoo, Blaine, WA C 350, # 392. )
nybor

Post by nybor »

ditto on the sticky sided spongy gap material. I have removed my panel over 40 times (don't ask), so I consider myself a pro. Also, I placed a rubber washer on the screws, since you are correct, it is VERY easy to crack the plastic.

nybor