Whisker pole

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

marklunorman

Whisker pole

Post by marklunorman »

Anyone using whisker pole with 155 genny? I'm ready to rig - had the pole from a previous boat - but the lower shroud looks like it will keep the pole from being perpendicular to the boat. Seems limiting.

Ideas or advice?
Mark
russp

Re: Whisker pole

Post by russp »

Hi Mark, I don't have any answers, but if you find out I will be keen to know. When I look at line between mast connection point and clew of genoa, it seems to pass well aft of the shroud so I can't work out how it can be done.

Russ Peel
Avalon #150
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

I have a fixed whisker pole for my 350 and it is mostly a deck ornament. I have the deck mounts as well.
If you want to try this out on your boat it is now sleeping in my barn in South Jersey. You will have to arrange shipping.

Leigh Weiss

Brisa #155
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
MarkElliott

Post by MarkElliott »

Go to the Forespar site. They have a nice video about the whisker pole. I was in the dark about using mine and the video helped a lot. They show using the pole to keep the foresail winged way out so the pole dosent come as close to contacting the shrouds. First time I used the pole, something about monkeys and footballs. Now I think it makes sense. Basicly need a broad reach or dead down wind. they talk of using the pole at the same angle as the boom but on the other side of the mast, so that they form a straight line holding sails wing on wing. As you move to a beam reach you dont need to hold the sail out to keep it filled as you sheet it in past the mid point of the boat, so the pole is not used. also talk about the difference between whisker pole and spinniker pole.
Mark Elliott
Mintaka #71
Noank Ct.
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

I use my whisker pole quite a bit. You are correct in your thinking that the forward shroud would rub against the pole as you sail more dead down wind and try to bring the pole back. I pole out the jib, a 145%, when sailing on a deep broad reach with the pole forward some. I will pole out with a wind angle of 140 degrees. The boat really likes this.

Here's a tip. If the winds are brisk, and the jib might want to flog around when trying to attach the pole, or, you just want to make the whole precess of setting the pole a little more tame, then first furl the jib in, set the pole, then unfurl the jib. In really heavier winds, I collapse the pole (now it's the size of a spinnaker pole) and only unfurl the jib 2/3 out. It's a smaller "reefed" version.

Bill
S/V TRIUMPH