Rub from shore power cable

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

DuncanMcMillan

Rub from shore power cable

Post by DuncanMcMillan »

For those of us who like to dock bow in and then run the power cable down the entire length of the boat we always have some annoying rub marks from the power cable around the front cleat/toerail and in the cockpit. A nice sleeve like those on a vacuum hose would be good but the simpler fix is to copy the solution we used on the catbird seat rails and use some split foam pipe insulation. The 1/2 " diam is a perfect fit and just make sure not to remove the yellow tape on the tacky seal. You want to be able to slip it on and off. About 47 cents for 4 feet and two seems to do - one for bow and one for cockpit. Takes about 2 mins to put on.
Learning to dock in reverse of course is the better option.
Duncan #248
Para Handy
tranquilcat42

Re: Rub from shore power cable

Post by tranquilcat42 »

Duncan,

thanks for the information! Backing in will most likely never be an option for me, and I've spent countless $ on clip on to the lifeline cord holders that dont work, as well as expensive holders that mount on the stanchions, which I currently use. Not a great visual and mostly holds away from the deck, but not entirely.

I am not familiar with split foam pipe insulation, but will look into it. I would need it the entire length of the boat. Assume you just wash it at season end and store?

Thanks again for a good, cheap idea.

Teri Weber
Tranquil
Chicago
nybor

Post by nybor »

hi. I used those spaghetti thingamagig (?) foam tubes that kids use to fight each other in the swimming pool.
I cut them into 2 foot sections and then split them with scissors. work great. (i was worried about the spilt pipe insulation and UV degradation and I like the colors of the xxxxxxxx. What the heck are those things called????

dave
DuncanMcMillan

Post by DuncanMcMillan »

Teri, You can get the split foam at any hardware store in the plumbing section. Comes in 4' and 6' sections. To cover 50' power cable would cost about $6. Great job for the crew when you have docked or are getting ready to depart......in fact they should do more. They would all store in the big lazarette or the transom lockers. Once a piece gets abused just replace it.

The kid's coloured ones are water snakes.
Duncan #248
Para Handy
tranquilcat42

Post by tranquilcat42 »

How the simple things in life make a big difference!

Thanks for all the information - I just got her lifted and can work on it over the winter.

Wishing all a great season and safe sailing!

Teri Weber