Weight of boat

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

R.B.

Weight of boat

Post by R.B. »

Just a question to those of you that have had your boat lifted from the water. We just pulled our boat for the winter. The crane operator asks what the weight is, I tell him approximately 15000lbs dry. The Catalina brochure mentions 14012lbs with the wing keel. I store my mast horizontally on my boat so I figure maybe another 500 lbs. The crane operator lifts my boat and tells me I am 21000lbs. This seems like a HUGE difference to what the factory suggests. Yes our stuff is on the boat and my fuel tank is nearly full, no water, no sails, no food or drinks, but I can't imagine any of our stuff comes in at 7000lbs.

Any one else know the weight of their boat?
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
Golden Handcuffs

Re: Weight of boat

Post by Golden Handcuffs »

Makes you wonder about the accuracy of the scale on the lift. It maybe was calibrated when it left the factory 20 years ago.
reltubp

Post by reltubp »

As The hurrican approached thsi weekend I hustled over to the loacl yard who uses a crane to pull boat rather than a travel lift. After trying to lift me at low tide unsuccessfully we waited until high tide and tried again. This time the rear wheele ofthe crane came off the ground as the crane tipped towads the water with only part of the hull out of the water and all the keel still in it. The crane operator told me it was past 20,000 lbs just before he started tipping. So either the " basic weight " wording used by Catalina in its marketing materials excludes things like mast, engine, fridge ..... , or my 2008 boat has taken on a lot of water into the core. I think I prefer the first answer.
yodagwb

Post by yodagwb »

Upon hauling last fall, 2011, and dropping this spring, 2012, the boat was weight was checked both times. Both times I was told that the boat was weighting around 22 to 23000lbs. I do have 90 gal of water, a couple extra batteries, a bunch of stuff, two anchors and over 100' of chain, but really, 23000lbs. I am glad to hear others are finding the same issue. I guess I can now stop looking for 9000lbs of extra crap. It does make you wounder where this weight is. An over weighted keel? It could also explain some boats having cavation issues, ie the heavier boats. In my case slower crusing speeds than what others are seeing could also be caused by the over weight issue. It would be interesting to see what criusing speeds those with a 20000lbs+ weight are seeing. With the replacement prop I am seeing about 5.3 to 5.5knts.
Pgtjs

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi folks,

Interesting that 3 cranes/lifts all indicated greater than 20,000 lbs at liftout. I wonder if the 14000 lb base shown in the original sales brochures (2006 in my case) was without the keel? My spec sheet (on the boat and not here at home) also said the wing keel was about 6000lbs and the fin keel was a bit lighter. That would suggest about 20,000lbs plus contents, batteries, chain and full tanks etc. which could easily come to 22,000 lbs? I max out with a Yanmar 30hp/Kiwi prop - which combination is lighter, at about 7.2 knots at 3500 rpm and usually run all day at 2850 rpms at 6.6 knots. So if the fully loaded hull weight is really 22,000lbs, there is something else going on to restrict the motoring speed to below 6.0 knots - ie prop pitch, barnacles under the fin, very dirty hull needs a pressure wash etc. ??.

Cheers, Geoff. C350 -# 392, Taeko 1V, Blaine, WA.
yodagwb

Post by yodagwb »

Geoff, have you had your boat weighted? Do you know what it weights? The original spec for the boat was 13600lbs when we bought ours in 2003. I did notice in later specs that the wing keel was showing a higher spec weight, I believe it may have been about 600lbs. If you are also weighting in around 20K+ and able to do 6+knts then I will look at making a prop switch. I just want want to make sure I am not trying to get a 23000lbs boat to move like a 17000lbs boat to the tune of a couple of thousand dollars only to find it makes no difference. We only have a 1 to 11/2" white stripe under the blue stripe and the water line is right there.
Pgtjs

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi there again,

One other thought as to whether you might have some problem with the prop. and before you decide to change it I have Raymarine Instruments - the Tridata version, but I dont recall the exact model number. I have to recalibrate it occasionally which you can do manually. I followed the Operating instructions which are a bit tricky. The "C.F." factor was adjusted from whatever the default is when the instruments are shipped and which it probably reverts to whenever the power source is disconnected. In my case I eventually set it at 1.6 by doing a two way course "out and back" at slack tide and matching it to the GPS Chartplotter SOG figure - it is a Raymarine C70 unit. Note I decllined the option to set it all the time at the GPS SOG figure automatically as I like to be able to watch the tidal effect which is the difference between the SOG and the speed though water as generated from the hull "spinner". Obviously running at slack they are about equal.

Incidentally the Kiwi prop is way less than $2k. including haulout.

Cheers again, Geoff. C350 #392 Taeko 1V, Blaine, WA.