LED Replacements for Bulbs

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

davidjohnson708

LED Replacements for Bulbs

Post by davidjohnson708 »

Has anyone found suitable LED replacement products for the various interior lights, or for the anchor light?

Any leads on replacements that worked well would be appreciated.

David
jbassi

LED Lights

Post by jbassi »

Try calling Euro Marine Trading, Inc. they do have replacement bulbs for anchor lights but I don't know how much they cost. You can look them up on-line.
Jerry Bassi
C350 Amazing Grace #5
Vice Commodore, Long Island Sound Catalina Association
R.B.

Re: LED Replacements for Bulbs

Post by R.B. »

I just ordered from http://www.ledwholesalers.com an LED light for the dome lights in the cabin. Product #: 1106WW - 6 surface mount warm white LEDs G4 Light module 12 V AC/DC.

I installed them on the weekend. The light output was bright and the angle of light was not too bad. The light color is still cooler (bluish) then the halogens (yellow) but considering the energy saved, I think they work well.

I tried to replace the wall reading light, with product # 1105WW - MR11 7 LED Warm White - but this unit only had 3 working LEDs out of 7, so I will return it and order another to see how they work.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
EvenKeel

Post by EvenKeel »

Ralph-

How did you get to the bulbs in those dome lights? I took one down and tried to open it and could not figure it out.

Gary
Even Keel II #288
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

Gary,
The black ring holding the lens is actually 2 rings, just clipped together. Just using my fingers and finger nails, I was able to separate the rings. Careful, the lens just sits on the bottom ring so it will fall out when you separate them.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
EvenKeel

Post by EvenKeel »

Thanks, Ralph. I'll be interested to hear when you get the reading light replacements with all of the LED's working.

GB
Whitehook

Post by Whitehook »

For those of you that "do" E-bay, there is a fellow offering a 21-led replacement. I purchased one last year as a trial and liked it enough to get a few more. I leave the frosted glass lens out of the fixture after replacing the old bulb and the light output is good although slightly less than the halogen in my estimation. They are $20 and are more a blue-white color than the yellow-white of the Halogen bulb that they are replacing but they do what they are advertised to do. They are listed as "Beneteau Catalina Hunter Sailboat G4 LED Light Bulb Replaces the G4 halogen lamps in your boat fixtures" in the E-bay banner and I have not been able to find these same units anywhere else. Except for the price, I can highly recommend them but suggest that you try only one at first to see if they are what you are looking for.

Greg Klocek
Whitehook #199
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

Another update. I ordered another type bulb for the wall reading light. This one looks to have a similar LED type as the dome lights. Part number is 1104W (MR11 12V 6 high powered LED Warm White - 1.5Watts) at $15. I tried it out yesterday and it worked very well. Similar output (Colour and intensity) to the dome LED lights I ordered. Again I ordered from LEDWholesalers.com (no affiliation).
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
EvenKeel

Re: LED Replacements for Bulbs- DIM!

Post by EvenKeel »

Greg:

I should have taken your advice and only purchased one of these 21 LED G4's to try it out. I just received 7 of them and installed a few in the overhead dome lights. To me they didn't seem close in output to the 10W halogens that came in the fixtures, so I checked them with a laboratory light meter. The halogens provided 100 lux of illumination at 3 feet and the LED's only 25, whether or not the diffusing glass was left in. I find that it's really not enough light.

I'm hoping the guy will give me my $140 back.

Gary
Even Keel II #288
jking

Post by jking »

I just put led bulbs in yesterday and they seem quite nice. Ones for the sconces were from eBay 2011_led, described as 10x G4 24-5050SMD LED Bulb Warm White AC/DC12~24V $63.99 free shipping. They are brighter than the 10W bulbs they replace, the pin width was slightly wider than the original bulbs, but they still fit in. Very pleased with these.

For the in puck type lights the were eBay, ecoroms, described as 5x G4 LED Light Bulb 24SMD high lumens Warm White G4 LED Lamp 160lm 12V AC DC $29.99 free shipping. I had to cut off about 1/8" of the pins and they just barely fit, the pin design is stupid on these with a piece of white plastic preventing the bulb from centering in the light (I tried cutting off the plastic, but the pins broke off without the plastic). In any case they did fit although off center, and they seem about as bright as the 10W which I was not expecting. So 25mm is as large a LED bulb that will fit in these fixtures.

The boat required eight of each to replace all of the interior lights. So we replaced all of the lights for less than $100. I made sure to buy LED that had built in power supplies to prevent too much current from burning out the LEDs.

Hope this helps someone - Jan King Friendship II, Belleville Ontario
Attachments
LED2.jpg
LED2.jpg (6.79 KiB) Viewed 9005 times
LED1.jpg
LED1.jpg (5.25 KiB) Viewed 9005 times