Honda 2000i

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

AynB

Re: Honda 2000i

Post by AynB »

Bill ( on Triumph ) , I followed everything except that last bit about the three way valve on the water heater and the 11 gallon tank - what 11 gallon tank? Quite curious about what you have going on here. Thanks.. Al
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

I think the stock water heater in the back end of the boat is an 11 gallon unit, complete with heat exchanger. It takes a lot of electrical energy to heat up this much water. I installer a 2 gallon tank under the galley sink. Electric heat only, no heat exchanger hook up. So I have two hot water heaters. To use the 2 or 11 gallon, I installed a three way valve on the hot water manifold, which allows me to choose which water heater I use to feed the hot water manifold, thus the faucets. While at anchor for a while, I move the value to the two gallon tank, then use the Honda, or my inverter to heat up the water in this small tank. 10 minutes later, I have really hot water anywhere in the boat.

Bill on TRIUMPH
dvolkman

Post by dvolkman »

Just curious how long it takes to make hot water with the factory installed hot water heater. We just purchased a Honda 2000i and have yet to use it.

David Volkman
PHerzfeld

Post by PHerzfeld »

I've had mine for about a year and have never had a fume issue. The thing is great!
Phil
Paramethia
Hull #55
AynB

Post by AynB »

A couple of items to bring up about the EU2000i .
First and foremost; it is VERY essential to run the tank dry as well as draining the carb bowl when you are going to leave it for more than a month or so. Carb is easy to drain - long straight blade screwdriver into the drain petcock at the bottom of the carb - fuel drains out through one of the three plastic tubes onto the ground ( or cockpit ) - I use a clean cup and catch the small amount , then transfer it to a jerry can.
Next; if you forgot, or the fuel just got too old and you find that the generator runs just fine at about 1/2 choke, but "lopes" at no choke, you will have to replace the jet at the top of the carburetor. This will be a especially common occurrence if you use ethanol fuel v.s. "clear" fuel.
The part number for the Pilot Jet ( the one on top ) from Honda is 99204-ZE0-0350, costs range from $15 to $23 . It is a plastic piece with a small O-Ring. The hole is so small that my finest thread wire could not pass through. I have also heard tales that the O-Ring just goes bad. No amount of Gumout or the like will actually get to the top jet well enough to clean it. The other two jets are very easy to clean and replace (with Gumout or similar ) and can be accessed from below the carb.
I can now change the lower jets in under 15 minutes. Top jet takes about 35 minutes and requires a no-caffeine hand.
I have blow-up diagrams and parts lists for the generator if anyone needs me to post them.
Whole process is not too tough and there are only THREE ( ONLY THREE ) small parts that want to go a-flying into the bilge - one is a spring that flies out when you remove the electronic throttle body , the other is the float valve pin and float valve that falls out IF you turn the carb to get to the bottom jets.

I now carry a spare for the top jet.

By doing this myself, I saved about $125 to $150 .
PHerzfeld

Post by PHerzfeld »

dvolkman wrote:Just curious how long it takes to make hot water with the factory installed hot water heater. We just purchased a Honda 2000i and have yet to use it.

David Volkman
We've been using our EU model for about a year and find about 15 to 20 minutes of generator gives us plenty of hot water for two to three showers...
Phil
Paramethia
Hull #55