all starboard side interior dome lights out

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

tranquilcat42

all starboard side interior dome lights out

Post by tranquilcat42 »

I dont often use the dome lights because I cant reach them.......however....

I ordered replacement 10W bulbs per the awesome inputs on this user blog and replaced bulbs in both port and starboard dome lights. Interestingly the port all work again, but none of the starboard dome lights work. Starboard "regular" lights and electric outlets work, but none of the dome starboard lights work from the galley to the bow berth, nor the dome over the door to the v-berth, which according to the lighting schematic looks like it is on the starboard wiring.

All the starboard domes suddenly going out together seems suspicious and replacement bulbs did not work. Some of the bulb filaments looked intact. The schematic just shows them all wired together.

Any and all ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Teri Weber
Hull #187
Tranquil
Chicago
wolfe10

Re: all starboard side interior dome lights out

Post by wolfe10 »

Teri,

I would start by checking for a loose wire in the 12 VDC breaker panel (over nav desk) on the breaker for cabin lights. Turn that breaker off and back on. Sometimes a tripped breaker can look like it is OK.

If that is OK, from the wiring schematic or a call to Catalina, determine where the first light in the circuit is (one closest to breaker panel).

With a voltmeter (they start at under $20 at Radio Shack, Sears, etc) check for 12 VDC at the first fixture between the positive and ground wire. If no 12 VDC, check between the positive wire and a wire you ground to a known good ground such as engine or battery. If no voltmeter, even a test light will work.

That will tell you if you have a problem in the wire from breaker (positive) or a problem in the ground wire.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
tranquilcat42

Re: all starboard side interior dome lights out

Post by tranquilcat42 »

Thanks Brett

Already have the trusty voltmeter on board. If the breaker needs replacement...any idea how to get the part #

Thanks and good sailing to you!

Teri