Starting cuircut fuse

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Air Mobility

Starting cuircut fuse

Post by Air Mobility »

I added a starting battery last year and did not notice a fuse in the primary starting cuircut. Did the 350 come from the factory with a fuse for the starting cuircut?(the high amp cuircut) If a fuse is required, and I think it is, what size should this fuse be?

Air Mobility
hull 158
AynB

Re: Starting cuircut fuse

Post by AynB »

The following is from a posting I made to the other C350 list:

The original fuses are KTK-30, which are intended for special environments where a spark ( e.g. when the fuse blows and the glass shatters ) might cause an explosion. Somewhere like our battery boxes. These are apparently real boogers to find. That said, the place I found the replacements at had a tech data sheet on the KTK-30 ( www.cooperbussmann.com/products/datasheet.asp ) that say simply, "Upgrade with LP-CC product to reduce SKU investment and minimize potential arc-flash hazards." In english: stock this item and you can sell it for both types of applications. The LP-CC models are a little differently shaped at one end to prevent a standard BUSS-A type fuse from being used - but they fit just fine in a BUSS-A style inline holder. These fuses are about $7.00 each.
Here's something to think about. If the fuse for the starter battery charge circuit had blown, the fan would not have stopped and I would have had no way to know that the starter bank was not charging until I could not turn the diesel over.
I am replacing both of the fuses, the one that died of old age and the other one just because it's old.

Hope that helps.
Al :: S.V.Halona