sherwood waterpump

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Hans Grasman

sherwood waterpump

Post by Hans Grasman »

Installed new Sherwood water pump.
Was hard to install. Like to tigten the two bolts some more but so hard to get to.
What is best tool or combination of tools to use?
You can use an open end wrench a bit but not well. A 1/4 inch 10mm socket will get on the bolt but you can not get the handle in.
Any recommendations ?
Thanks in advance !
randj

Re: sherwood waterpump

Post by randj »

Hans,
I installed my second pump last week. I used a 10mm box end wrench. When it was as tight as I could get it by hand, (with the wrench on the bolt) I tapped the end of the wrench lightly a couple of times with a small ball peen hammer to tighten more . Didn't use too much force to cause damage. At a seminar, a diesel mechanic told us to get a small ball peen hammer for the tool box. I have used it on several projects. Hope this helps.

Richard Massey
R Boat Hull #193
Hans Grasman

Post by Hans Grasman »

Thank you Richard !
Going to Florida on sunday to "summarize" the boat and prepare for the hurricane season.
Will take your advice to tighten the water pump.
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

The trick is a boxed end wrench that has a bend in it, or a "Z" (over , down , over) I learned this from a previous post here and I have pics too. Works like a charm. Avail at Sears and else where., 10 mm.
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

Could someone find out the correct Oberdorfer pump number to replace the Sherwood or Universal. I just ordered the one someone posted from the Cat 34 website and it does not fit. Also, is there a rebuild kit for the sherwwod G908? Sources? I like dealing with Pumpvendor.com, but I'm in the far Bahamas and need a little help. Thanks all.
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Bill, I sent mine (Sherwood) to Depco (http://www.depcopump.com/) to be rebuilt and was happy with the results and quick turn around time. They charged slightly over $100.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

Good, I'll do that with mine when I reeturn home. But, what is the corret Oberdorfer pump number, anybody?
Richard Ad

Post by Richard Ad »

Hello Triumph. I also had my Sherwood rebuilt by Depco this winter. Just put it on yesterday and it seems to be working fine (20 minutes of engine run time). Here's the link to the C34 site with directions for replacing the Sherwood RWP with an Oberdorfer RWP. http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title ... Oberdorfer

Tip on replacing the RWP...... take both hoses off and you can use standard wrenches..... no problem. Just make sure your hoses are in good condition when you reconnect them. Also, with the hoses off it's a good time to put your spare belt over one hose and secure it to the hose with electrical ties. Position it so it will slip over the pulleys without having to remove the water exit hose. Think what it would be like to have to replace your belt when at sea. This is a great place to store your spare belt.

My RWP was leaking oil and water and I was concerned about water going into the engine; however, the Sherwood has sepratations between the oil and water with weep holes in between. So I'm not sure how water would chose to go into the engine vs. running out the weep holes.

Good luck.

Richard Ad / Hull 329
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

Thank you, I have also replaced my original waterpump with the Sherwood myself no problems. Now the Sherwood is weaping, so I thought I'd replace it with the Oberdorfer, and have the Sherwood rebuilt. The Catalina 34 weblink might be incorect. I ordered the one the guy says is the replacement for the Sherwood, paid $100 to ship it to the bahamas .. and the base of it is very different, it does not work. So, the question is ... is there a correct Oberdorfer pump that will work on out M-35 motors? Anybody?
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Bill, is it possible that they shipped you the wrong pump? You need an Oberdorfer N202M-16 . This is what the pump should look like before you modify the base.

Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

This is exactly what I got, but I didn't know anything about modifying the base. Must of missed that one. I had also heard that the Oberdorfer ending with a "15, not the "16, might be the right base. Guess I'll just stick with the Sherwood.