Crusing RPM

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Last Boat

Crusing RPM

Post by Last Boat »

Now that I have broken in my new C350, I am not sure what RPMs I should be running at for cruising (6-10 hours of run time). I am still changing the RPMs about each hour within the 2400 to 2700 range. What are you veterans running and are you leaving them constant?
Nelson Gainey
Last Boat
C350 #345
Copacetic

Post by Copacetic »

Sounds like pretty much the same routine and range I perform. When I need to move, I'll set it as much as 2800, but will back off eventually to 2500 or so. Universal recommends 3000 maximum so I stay away from running at the end of the rail.
Scott Townsend
Copacetic #190
Oceanside CA
Tim April IV

From the Universal Diesel Service Bulletin

Post by Tim April IV »

From the service bulletin # 236, found here:
http://www.westerbeke.com/technical/ser ... letins.cfm

For the M-35B, the idle RPM range is 800-1000

The Cruise range (typically 80% of max for a diesel engine) is 2000-2500

Max RPM is 2900-3000

You'll also hear lots of discussion about making sure that the tach is calibrated.
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle
allsail68

Universal Manual January 2000

Post by allsail68 »

This information is also available in the Universal operators manual, page 10. The manual was in my information package when i purchased my 350. I believe u can also access it at the Westerbeke web site. The manual i have is dated January 2000. When i checked, that was the latest manual available.

There is some dated info in the manual, page 15, however. For example, Sherwood raw water pump on the new Universal engines does not require the removal of a retaining ring [circlip] to remove the impeller.
When i removed my impeller for winter storage this year i thought i had lost it or it was lost in the system, until i checked with the Westerbeke rep at Engines1 in Portsmouth, VA.

X-Factor #326