Micro Wave oven

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

Hans Grasman

Micro Wave oven

Post by Hans Grasman »

Hi Folks
I have hull #165 with a micro wave oven installed.
Need to replace the oven and was wondering how you get it out of the tight place.
Looks like it was installed and fastened with 5 screws from the bottom of the cabinet.
But then it seems that was the stand only and the micro wave was bolted down on a separate floor which is screwed into the bottom panel.
Have you ever read a Dutch man's technical blah blah before ? I am not very good at this.
Anyway looking for some advice before I start unscrewing things and god forbid use a drill to mess up the whole cabinet.
While we are at it. What brand and model oven should I replace it with ?

Looking forward to your comments
Thank you
randj

Re: Micro Wave oven

Post by randj »

Hans,
There is an article in the May, 2010 "Mainsheet" that details (with pictures) what we did to replace our microwave.
Richard & Jan Massey
"R Boat" #193
Hans Grasman

Post by Hans Grasman »

Thank you ! A light went on and I remembered seeing something about a micro wave but was looking in the wrong place.
BTW the picture in Mainsheet shows a sanyo micro wave can you give me the model number ?
This forum is the greatest, the help is just a few clicks away.
william vanwagoner

Post by william vanwagoner »

I replaced mine about two years ago with a small GE unit that was a perfect fit for the old one. I remember unscrewing the small side panels at the front of the microwave shelf from inside each of the adjacent cupboards. Then I recall removing the entire shelf by unscrewing it from the cleats underneath (I found it best to remove the entire shelf with the microwave attached so it could be fitted to the new unit). Then there were two screws going through the bottom of the shelf into the microwave itself. I tipped the new microwave upside down and put the shelf on top so that I could mark where to drill pilot holes in the bottom sheet metal of the new microwave (exactly how the old one was attached). I re-used the same screws that held the old microwave to the shelf, and installed the microwave - shelf combination back in the boat and reassembled everything. So far the new microwave oven works fine.
Bill VanWagoner
Destiny #229
william vanwagoner

Post by william vanwagoner »

I replaced mine with a General Electric 0.7 cf model no. JES735BJ, which is black in color (looks nicer than the white that came with the boat). However, I don't think GE makes this model any longer and their newer model may not have the same dimensions. Your best bet is to look at all of the available 0.7 cubic foot units and compare the dimensions to make sure you get one that will fit.
Bill VanWagoner
Destiny #229