Raw Water Pump Leak

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

KenKrawford

Raw Water Pump Leak

Post by KenKrawford »

I was at the boat today to change the oil and transmission fluid. When I removed the engine cover, I noticed a small amount of oil in the bilge under the engine. A closer inspection revealed that it was coming from the weep holes on the raw water pump. Look like the lip seals are shot. I've sent it off to Depco for repair.
It seems that leaking seals on Sherwood pumps are quite common. What has been your experience?
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Allsail

Re: Raw Water Pump Leak

Post by Allsail »

Ken... have literally gone through 3 Sherwood pumps, 2 new and one rebuilt before i the last one which has worked fine for the last year. I had one replaced under warranty by Sherwood. One leaked oil and the others leaked water, prematurely. Must have been made in China. My boat is a 2005 with 300 plus engine hours. When i bought the boat new the pump was already weeping water but did not know enough at the time to question it. Others have reported problems but have not heard about anything lately. The pumps should last at least 3 to 5 hundred hours, unless u would suck sand in, etc.

By the way, did u get a chance to check your coolant recovery bottle? I was looking at an old Mainsheet and saw a bottle with the retaining bracket at the midpoint on the bottle, but not on a 350.

Allen S/V XF #326

[url=http://www.catalina350.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?