Engine Coolant Replacement

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Allsail

Engine Coolant Replacement

Post by Allsail »

I found a question but no response to a query re changing the antifreeze on our 350's in the archives.
I was replacing the the overflow vinyl tubing today and the coolant in the reservoir did not look good.

Any tips beyond what is in the manual?
By the way, while i was checking the hose clamp for tightness the vinyl hose literally fell off at the manifold end and was so badly degraded that i was not able to cut off reattach.

I guess Texaco dexcool is the recommended replacement antifreeze?

Anyone used the Fleet Charge antifreeze which is recommended for diesel engines?

Thanks,

Allen #326
Richard Ad

Re: Engine Coolant Replacement

Post by Richard Ad »

Hello ALLSAIL:
I too read the posting about the Texaco anti-freeze and will also investigate. This summer I was doing a visual inspection on my engine and the overflow hose next to the anti-freeze fill cap broke off at the hose clamp so I just cut the damaged piece off and reinstalled the hose & clamp. Yesterday (Nov 15, 2010) I went for a sail and when I came back the hose had split right at the hose clamp and I had about 6-8 oz of anti-freeze in my engine well. If you find any more info on the best anti-freeze to use please keep me posted. I will replace the hose from the engine to the overflow (plastic) tank and will make inspecting this hose a regular item on my check list.

I also have some oil leaking at the raw water pump that I will address this winter. There's a posting on this under the topic "Engine / Oil Pan".

Rick A. / Hull 329 / 500 engine hours
KenKrawford

Re: Engine Coolant Replacement

Post by KenKrawford »

Rick, when you replace your coolant recovery hose, consider using rubber hose instead of the plastic. I was able to buy some by the foot at an auto parts store.

I would be a bit concerned about oil leaking from your fresh water pump. This could indicate your lip seal in the pump is worn. Next time you change your oil, look for signs of water in the oil. If so, you might experience some engine problems in the future.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA