Autohelm Disconnect

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Air Mobility

Autohelm Disconnect

Post by Air Mobility »

I have the Raymarine autohelm 5000+ installed on Air Mobility, hull number 158. I've had no trouble with the system for the last two years. Toward the end of the sailing season here on the Chesapeake, I noticed that the autohelm does not disconnect immediately when I press the standby button on the control head (instrument). After I shake the helm a few times, the autohelm disconnects. The control head reads "Standby" as soon as I press the button, so I know the signal has been recieved, but the actual disconnect takes a little help in the form of a shake of the helm (wheel).

Has anyone else experienced this and is there an adjustment I can make?

George Fisher
Air Mobility
hull 158
Barbara

Re: Autohelm Disconnect

Post by Barbara »

George, did you ever figure out what happened with your autopilot not disconnecting? My ST5000 Plus does the same thing. It will engage when I press Auto but will not disengage when I go back to Standby.
Barbara
#76 Freedom

"Wherever we want to go, we go. That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel and hull and a deck and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."
Air Mobility

Re: Autohelm Disconnect

Post by Air Mobility »

Barbara

My auto helm is working fine. After several weeks of difficult disconnects, iI went into the aft locker and checked over the auto helm unit. I checked all the wireing and disconnected and reconnected the small arm on the unit that senses the position of the rudder. After that, it started working correctly. All this season it as been fine. We are presently moored in Annapolis headed for Rock Hall by 9AM, I hope I didn't jink the auto helm.

George
Air Mobility
Hull 158