shurflo strainer, replacement screen

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

davidjohnson708

shurflo strainer, replacement screen

Post by davidjohnson708 »

Has anyone else found that the screens in the Shurflo strainers (Head and AC intakes) quickly corrode and discovered a good solution? West Marine carries the screens (part #7925308), but I find the screens only last about a month or two. I'm thinking about replacing the Shurflos with something else.

David Johnson #377
Dave Granata

Re: shurflo strainer, replacement screen

Post by Dave Granata »

Wow....every two months? That is a lot. Are they stainless steel? I don't know if mine are shurflo but they've been with the boat for 5 years and no problem. We have stainless steel mesh wrapped around a red plastic frame the is inside of a clear plastic canister about the size of a cambells soup can. Is that what you have also?
I wonder if you have something else going on there like some serious stray current. Do you go through zincs quickly as well?
davidjohnson708

Post by davidjohnson708 »

You do not seem to have the same strainer. The Shurflo has a clear a plastic bowl about 2 1/2 inches in diameter by 4 inches long. The metal strainer is about 1 1/4 inches by 3 inches.

I have no problem with stray current or zincs, --just the strainers. I guess the metal in the strainer is inferior stainless and does not last in salt water.

Best regards,
David #377
Patti

Post by Patti »

Are you using the "fine" mesh screen? I find that the "coarser" mesh lasts longer than the the "fine" ones, and the mesh size is not significantly different. It seems to be a sturdier screen as well.
Patti #415
Allsail

Post by Allsail »

Groco sells a the same strainer with a plastic basket that they recommend for continuous ac use. They also sell slightly larger and much more expensive strainer that does not become cloudy and craze like the smaller ones do, according to their tech rep. Not sure if size and attachment point would work in our bilge, however.

He told me that they are buying the plastic bowls for the smaller strainers, as other companies are, from the same source. So he said they have had issues with clouding and crazing of their smaller strainers, too.