Engine Hoist

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Triumph

Engine Hoist

Post by Triumph »

It's a real problem as to where to mount the base of the hoist. I understand the the owner of Garhaur has a Catalina 350, and has developed something himself. I was told you can buy this for $100 from them.

I had a 3/8" think pc of SS cut and drilled, mounted it to the stern rail, and had the pole cut shorter. Works great, and the pole actually provides a nice added backrest while seated. The seat cushion usually hides the bracket.
yodagwb

Why there?

Post by yodagwb »

I to have the davit which I am getting readt to install. My intial thought was to install the knobed bearing plate on the transom, next to the vent intake, thur bolted with a backer board. I was going to install the mid support bracket at the back of the seat where the vertical tube comes off the seat just before it curves up. My question to you is did you already look at that configuration an identify a problem which is what lead you to fabricate the seat plate?
Triumph

Engine Hoist

Post by Triumph »

I don't relly recall, but I believe that you need the round ball thing flat, so that the pole that goes over it can spin when you swing the engine out or in to drop/lift it. Perhaps if you fix the lower part of the pole in place, you can rotate the upper half when swinging. I'm not sure about this idea.
I believe I looked at it every which way, and the way I did it seemed the best to me.
I've had no problems, and it works well for me and my wife, who operated the lift while I am in the dinghy.
william vanwagoner

Re: Engine Hoist

Post by william vanwagoner »

I just purchased the lifting davit from Garhauer because they have a custom setup for the C350 that does not require bolting any bearing end plates to the fiberglass etc. There are two cylindrical aluminum castings that mount on the stern pulpit outboard of the stern perch seat. Then a well machined piece of pipe is inserted, followed by the lifting davit itself. In addition to the brackets, Garhauer has placed an extra block and jamb cleat on the vertical pole of the lifting davit which bypasses the stock cam cleat on top of the unit that can interfere with a bimini top. This also allows single handed use while standing in the dingy. The lifting davit is easily removed for storage on one of the shelves in the cockpit locker.

If you are interested in this setup, you need to call Mark at Garhauer directly and specifically ask for the custom setup for the C350. Mark indicated that this might also work on the new C375 as well.

I have photos I can share but it is too difficult to post them here, so contact me individually if you like and I can forward them to you.

Thanks,
Bill Van Wagoner, Destiny No. 229
Bill VanWagoner
Destiny #229
jbd3

Post by jbd3 »

Love to see some pics. I mounted mine yesterday and I'm a bit confused as to how to utilize the inboard pulley on the support mast for rigging the line. It was a snap to install on a 350. Thanks
william vanwagoner

Post by william vanwagoner »

You should have a jamb cleat on a sleave that fits on the mast below the pully. This allows you to run the line down to the pully on the mast and lock in in place while standing in a dingy or fighting with a bimini top with the standard setup. email me at wvanwagoner@verizon.net and I can forward you some photos.

Bill Van Wagoner
Bill VanWagoner
Destiny #229